Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
THELAND photographer
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all...
i have the ex325s on my bullit and i fing hate them...if you dont land something perfectly they bend like tin foil i need something stronger...on a budget...suggestions all? please help im on rim 2 and soon to be on rim 3 and this crap is getting expensive

ive been told mag30s/doubletracks are bombproof...thoughts?

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Check your spoke tension first...

But yes, the Doubletracks are bombproof if built right. You might want to check out Atomlab Pimp and Pimplite rims (I built a 24" pimplite/DT Swiss Champion 14 gauge spokes/Odyssey hazard v3 hub for my cruiser...strong), Arrow Racing rims, and Mavic ex729 or 823...but the ex325s, if I'm not mistaken, are the budget FR/DH rims from Mavic. If built right, they shouldn't be as temperamental as you describe.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I used 325's for a season with a Stans tubeless conversion and even at low pressures those suckers were strong as hell! I think there might be a weak link somewhere else in your wheel.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
I used 325's for a season with a Stans tubeless conversion and even at low pressures those suckers were strong as hell! I think there might be a weak link somewhere else in your wheel.
builder or not checking your spoke tension (lack of maintance)

Seriously look at replacing the rim with the 823 (tubeless) or 729

·
StraightOuttaCompton
3,145 Posts
dude, i have a friend thats been riding those for 2 seasons and he rode northstar something like 25 times this past season, so i think it may be your ride style or what you ride or something.

·
Registered
340 Posts
wtf, I have riden those rims for the past 2 seasons at N* and they are as strong as hell. They have never bent or dented on me. I weigh about 130 lb. The rims are no where near "soft". Perhaps you didnt have any spokes on the rim.

·
Registered
680 Posts
CdaleProph6 said:
i do have a bad habit of smacking my rim on stuff.....but i weigh 140 and i dont expect even budget rims to be as soft as these are...probably just my problem
Run thicker tires and or tubes, or run more pressure, those rims should hold up well for you.

·
THELAND photographer
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea...im just dumb and like breaking things :madman:
but i think im going to use my dumbness as an excuse to get nicer stuff...that will break later than the less expensive stuff:thumbsup:

a white atomlab pimp is top of my list at the point for the green bullit:thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I find a different guy to build you r wheels, sounds like crappy builds to me. Maybe a little work on landing smoother as well. Finesse never hurt anyone. I have had great luck with the Sun/Ringle wheels and there are some good deals out there on those. Outlaws have the best bang for your buck. After you get your wheel built are you going back and retensioning the spokes?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.