Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the air is thin up here..
738 Posts
Very cool.

It is possible to extrude a curved rim (ie - don't extrude then bend, extrude it into the proper diameter from the die)? Doing so would probably result in a stronger rim, no?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Why would it result in a stronger rim? Any "thinning" on the outside of the bend can be compensated for by making the extrusion thicker at that point, etc.

And no, I don't think you can do a curved extrusion, at least not if you want the die to last long enough to pay for itself. The wear on the outside of the curve would probably be pretty nasty. Rollers roll; the inside of an extruder doesn't.

·
the air is thin up here..
738 Posts
Fungazi said:
Why would it result in a stronger rim? Any "thinning" on the outside of the bend can be compensated for by making the extrusion thicker at that point, etc.

And no, I don't think you can do a curved extrusion, at least not if you want the die to last long enough to pay for itself. The wear on the outside of the curve would probably be pretty nasty. Rollers roll; the inside of an extruder doesn't.
I suppose. I was just surprised that a rim of almost an inch tall would bend well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want to extrude the rim profile you need to heat the material so it loose its strength. After you extrude the profile it still has "no" strength so you can bend it to the diameter.

After that you need to apply a heat treatment to get a strong rim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts