Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a rim-drive wind trainer, like the Minoura ERDA 850D? I read about it on mountainbike.com and i am intrigued. Will it work with disc brakes? Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Minoura RDA

I had a rim drive Minoura with magnetic resistance. The resistance as not very uniform through the pedal stroke and I felt like I was pedaling in squares instead of circles. It was also a bit noisey. I sold it and bought a Giant Tempo spin bike.

One plus for the rim drive trainer was it would work with any tire or brake system I used. Very quick to put bike in and then remove if you wanted to ride outside.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yeah they suck!!!

I had one a few years back. It was extremely inconsistent through the pedal stroke, had tons of vibration and noise and broke after very little use.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have an older model.

So far, no issues.

It's not that quiet though. You have to turn up the TV pretty good, or use the CC function.

As far as that "torque limiter" lever, it doesn't seem to do anything. If there's an option to buy it without it, I would save the money and not get it.

BTW, you need to have braking surfaces on your rim for it to work.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
Yep, with rim-drive type there's no need for an extra rear wheel setup. Cuz you pretty badly need slicks @d' rear...

BTW, has anyone tried the GIANT Cyclotron Auto Trainer? Any feedbacks/ comments, please?

TIA!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a rim drive trainer (Minoura ERDA850 http://www.minoura.jp/erda850-e.htm.

No issues so far except that I do not know the correct tightness of the couplings. There is no locking mechanism. If it's too loose, the rear wheel might disengage. If it's too tight, there's a risk of damaging the frame. I don't know if it will damage the rear hub, too, if the couplings are too tight.

Also, I'm using a disc-only rim. Will prolonged use cause the rollers to deform the rim or make it out-of-true?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.