Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right so here's the scoop,

I just got my Super T for my bullit, and needless to say I'm stoked. But...now I need a new front wheel...and it has to be on the cheap. Ive decided to go through Universal Cycles because they have clearance priced 2004 d321's and d521's, two rims that I'm favoring after reading countless posts. The only things that I'm unsure about are that the d321 is only availible in 32 hole, and both rims are the CD version.

So... it comes down to 32h d321 vs. 36h d521.....and if the ceramic coated rims are something to stay away from. Orrrrr...do I go with the wild card, the Salsa Gordo?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
521 vs 321

The 321 is the deemax rim and rules for dh and heavy free ride. It is how ever it is a beefy rim. The 521 is for light free ride. As you can tell the main difference is weight. I love the 321 rim it is great for DH. I have yet to see its equal.

ScubaBullit said:
All right so here's the scoop,

I just got my Super T for my bullit, and needless to say I'm stoked. But...now I need a new front wheel...and it has to be on the cheap. Ive decided to go through Universal Cycles because they have clearance priced 2004 d321's and d521's, two rims that I'm favoring after reading countless posts. The only things that I'm unsure about are that the d321 is only availible in 32 hole, and both rims are the CD version.

So... it comes down to 32h d321 vs. 36h d521.....and if the ceramic coated rims are something to stay away from. Orrrrr...do I go with the wild card, the Salsa Gordo?

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
321 all the way. the salsa is kinda blaaa. If nothing else, the MTX rim from sun looks to be a winner too, but you'd be hard pressed to beat the way a Mavic builds though. I always loved building wheels on Mavic rims. suns can kinda be a pain to build some times, but mavic's build up super good fairly fast. If it wasnt for the $$$ factor on most of the mavic rims, i would go with them, but at the rate i ruin rims i would just be wasting my $$$. As to the 32 vs 36 argument, a well built 32 will still be super strong, just build it up slow and right and you will have no issues. But there is something to be said for a 36h 3x. If you are gonna be doing DH to lite FR go with the D321. If you are gonna be doing jumping/lite FR and DH/street, go with the 521. When i had 321's I was just doing trail riding, lite dh/Fr and had no problems. Took me a lot of work to crack the 321. the weight never seemed to bother me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.