Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to get some consensus on what rims people are running and what you think of them. I have used Bonty race and Mavic Speedcities and liked them both. Now I'd like to build a set of my own and am leaning to the Delgados beacause they seem pretty light and average width (judging from the Speedgoat website). Do many people use them much lately? I was going to spend big and get the stans but he said that a 220# rider is a bit much for his set. A friend of mine built up some King/Open pros and loves them but aren't they on the slim side?

From what I gather the XC choices are:

Bonty race, racelight, mustang
Delgados
Mavic: M3, Open pro, A719, Speedcity
Velocity Dyad
Alex adventurer, TD17
DT RR1.1, TK 7.1
Zipps or stans (not for my weight)
WTB dual duty
Sun Rhyno light
American Classics

Any that I missed?

Any discussion is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Only dead people are old
699 Posts
Tbone said:
...Any that I missed?
I have a set with Velocity Aerohead rims laced to a set of WTB Laser Lite disc hubs - so far they have held up very well. I even run them tubeless with a Stan's kit.

Attachments

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
I'm using Open Pros on two cross bikes. Cross tires offer a lot less protection than 2.0's. I have to reservations regarding the rim strength - would trust them completely on a 29er. However, not sure about tire "squim" because of the narrower rim - wider tire combo. I'm also getting ready to build up a set of wheels. Would be interested in comments.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ma3

The Mavic MA3 is a good cheap rim, $30 or so. Probably similiar to a salsa delgado rim, also don't forget that Sun makes a 700c version of the ryno lite, if you want a tuff, wider rim. I run Ma3 mavics on My cross check SS cross racer, first rear rim lasted two years, two Washington cross seasons and other often wet ridding before it was very concave on the brake surface.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you liked speedcitys I guess you run relatively high tire pressure and another road rim will be fine. If you want to experiment with lower pressure, don't go narrower than 22mm. I'm middleweight and tire squirm on narrow rims is a problem for me. Delgados are great - light, cheap and widely available.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
im using ma3 at moment...

...and they were a little difficult to true. not sure why. im not the best wheel builder but im not the worst.

they are holding up fine, but the kelly is only 2-3 months old! on previous bikes i go through natural aluminium rims in 5 months maximum.

as noted im a wee bit nervous over the narrowness. i like the irc tyres i have, and as bike is rigid i tend to rely on a bit of give from them, but i dont want them rolling off, or squirming too bad. then again, i tend to run enough pressure to stop pinching so i should be ok.

i also think they are eyeletted which i like and of course the ceramic coating. hmmmm maybe i should just commit and wait and see?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ive been really lovin my Race Lites. Seem to be even less flexy than my old 26 race lites (from back when they were an 800$ ws) I may just be not noticing it as much because of the 32mm stanctions on my reba though, sooooo much better than that crappy old sid sl. Bontis wheels for some reason seem to be way under rated, which makes them a great buy since they usually go for cheap used, I know I got raped in sellin my old ones (only part of my bike that i didnt get more than I paid for new :D )

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
Currently MA3

Not a bad rim to use, really. I use them also on my cross bike and they are still running strong for a year now. Like the post above the MA3 seems to be a little bit temperamental to build because it can't handle high tension that well. From my experience using a Park TM1 once you reach a deflection reading of 124+ the rim will buckle easily so it's best to stay in the lower range of spoke tension.( But not too low) On my XC bike I also use MA3/XT combo and it's been holding up pretty well. For tires I mounted the Conti Vapors and I could feel some squirm because of the narrow width of the rims but then again in a good day I weigh in at 200lbs.

Ahhhh to lurk is.............

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info. The Aeroheads are light! 405 grams - not far from the stans rims. But they are thin.

I think I'll go with the tried and true Delgados. Seems like a good solid platform - light, cheap, middle if the road width. Now for the hub choice....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.