Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right i need some advice from people who have used any of these rims.?

Ride trails in UK bit of everything ,roots ,mud ,rocks ,etc..
No downhill or big drops
I weigh about 155lbs, what I want to know is which rim would be better choice for my needs..
Not to bothered about going tubeless yet..!!

Forgot to say 26" wheel..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I used ArchEX on my29er - all over Colorado - worked well and I liked em -- but you could feel flex on the bigger hoop - guessing that is much less on 26.

I now have i23 on 27.5 - feels great - stiff etc...

both do tubeless well.

btw - if using WTB tires - they don't match well with Arch. I primarily run Maxxis - and no issues on both.

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
The i23 has a UST type bead lock for securing the tire bead and preventing burping. The Pacenti and NoTubes rim have a wide bead shelf that is generally wide enough to prevent the tire from falling off and burping when encountering a side load. The Arch EX rims have a larger bead seat than the others so they can be used successfully tubeless with tube-type tires. The WTB rims work best with UST, TCS or tubeless tires. The Pacenti will be most burp resistant with the same type of tires as the WTB rims, but they tires are a little harder to mount due to the shallower center channel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Done a search locally and the Pacenti come in at about £70 per rim ,and the KOM at about £55 per rim,
What would be the better rim for running with tubes ( for now ) then going tubeless at a later date.??
The wheel build will probably be Hope hubs with sapim D-light spokes with polyax alloy nippes.

Next choice is tire..?? No idea where to begin..
My current tires are Panaracer fire xc pro.!!

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Personally i would go with either mavic, dt, or velocity rims (in that order), preferably eyeleted. dt spokes and brass nipples. for tires I would go with continenetal, schwalbe and nokian (winter). hubs = non pawl/ratchet ring type.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'd go with the KOM rims, will work fine with tubes and great tubeless with tubeless ready tires.

FYI-eyelets do not make a rim stronger or more durable. If a rim is constructed properly and the spoke holes are finished (as the they are on WTB, Stans, and Velocity) then the rim will be just as durable as an equivalent eyeleted rim.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
Done a search locally and the Pacenti come in at about £70 per rim ,and the KOM at about £55 per rim,
What would be the better rim for running with tubes ( for now ) then going tubeless at a later date.??
The wheel build will probably be Hope hubs with sapim D-light spokes with polyax alloy nippes.

Next choice is tire..?? No idea where to begin..
My current tires are Panaracer fire xc pro.!!
The KOM will set up tubeless easier than the Pancenti due to having a proper UST profile; it'll work fine with tube too until you're ready to make the change to tubeless.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The KOM will set up tubeless easier than the Pancenti due to having a proper UST profile; it'll work fine with tube too until you're ready to make the change to tubeless.
Just FYI, I agree on the KOM but will say I currently am running Velocity Blunt 35 rims with the same exact (designed by Pacenti) tubeless rim profile. These replaced a set of TCS rims. Both set up tubeless with tubeless ready tires equally easy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looking only at internal width (22,5) and max rider weight 110kg I would take a glance at the new DT XM401 (460g - same as Arch EX)

Haven't ridden them tho but specs look's great

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
I went with the KOM's the first of the year and haven't looked back. They have taken everything I have thrown at them and still don't show any wear. At just over 400 grams for an Enduro/AM rim, its pretty amazing. I figured if Mark Weir and the WTB Enduro racers use them, they had to be good. I have not been disappointed, and neither will you.

Plus, I am over 40 pounds heavier than you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thanks to ChainReactions and a voucher..!!!
I've just ordered the WTB KOM's..
Cheers for the help guys n girls.
:) :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts