Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally got my alfine and a speedway UMA 70mm offset rim for my pug upgrade.Problem is I can't find a bikeshop here in central Florida to build it, how hard would it be to do it myself? I've never built a wheel before but consider myself to be mechanically inclined. Or... anyone know of a wheelbuilder in sunny Fla do this? I already installed my new SC32 and UMA front with a new Larry-awesome! Now I need to bring the rear up to speed!!!

·
will rant for food
4,005 Posts
If you're patient you can do it. Give yourself lots of time, and if it doesn't go well don't be afraid to unlace and start over.

I relaced a taco'd wheel for the learning experience, and started over twice, but was amazed at how straight I got it in the end.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
I used that Sheldon Brown article (the OG from a 1980 Bicycling magazine) to build my first few wheels, but I practiced on a couple of garbage wheels first. Take 'em apart and put 'em back together, then see what it takes to destroy them.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Roger Musson's wheelbuilding book is also a good source, although it will cost you $14. A small price to pay for the knowledge within, IMO.

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

I built my first wheels using only Sheldon Browne's online guide, then shelled out for Roger's book because I wanted to fine tune my technique and just hear some other opinions. I opted to purchase a truing stand, but there are instructions in Roger's book on how to make your own out of wood. Honestly you don't need the instructions unless you want to build a really nice one. Its pretty simple. Here's one I whipped up because my Fatback hub didn't fit in my Park stand.

A dish guage can be easily made out of cardboard. I think the trickiest part for me was measuring the hubs and calculating spoke length. Roger Musson's website has a nice spoke calculator on it. You just enter the measurements and it does the rest. Roger was also nice enough to post up the pages concerning hub measurement for free. Just click the help button on the calculator.

I'd recommend practicing on an old wheel as well. Tear it apart and rebuild it. It will be easier when you do it with brand new parts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, Thanks! looking at the info posted, it seems pretty straightforward once I figure out spoke calcs- I did build a motorcycle wheel once- way back in the day using a ruler and some rubber bands across the swing-arm, it held up to many years of abuse. The thing messing me up is the offset and the relation to spoke length. None of the online calculators seem to list the alfine or an Uma 70. My LBS doesn't want to even consider it. Thought I'd save a few $$$ searching for a deal on ebay (got the hub and shifter new for less than $175 and the rim for $100) but it looks like I'll have to ship them to some one who knows what they're doing, oh well.

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
I used the Sheldon Brown link to build my first wheel. Now, I just go to town. If you're mechanically inclined, you can probably build a wheel. I've built more Cat engines than I care to count, so I figured wheels are just another notch in my belt.

What part of Florida are you in? The ONLY bike shop I've been to down there is the one right across the street from the Santos trailhead. I didn't talk fatbikes with them, but they seemed like a competent bunch.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
The 17.5 mm offset can throw you off a bit, but if you're planning on making a wooden stand, you could build the offset in. Otherwise, Surly makes a spacer that simplifies things substantially.

Los

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Speedway doesn't really do the offset thing...I mean they are MORE than competent, but all their bikes are symmetrical...give Dave at Paramount Cycles a call...(907) 336-2453

·
PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
When I built my TWO Fatbacks for my girlfriend and I , I figured while I am spending $$$$$ , I'll buy myself a PARK TS8 stand and sat at my coffee table and built my first 4 wheels.
As WADESTER advised, I printed out SHELDON BROWNS page on wheel building and kept it handy.
It was a great new skill to develop and I've built a number of wheels for myself and friends since as well as truing wheels for my sons ( one dirtjumper and one free rider)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.