Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my old hybrid that I use for commuting to work got a few upgrades. I got some new Shimano V-Brakes for the bike. I also purchased a full set of KoolStop MTB pads.

I wiped the rims down with 91% rubbing alcohol and tried to bed the new pads in slowly. The rear brake works fine, makes no noise, slows me down every time. The front brake is a nightmare. It has squealed like a stuck pig no matter what I do. I took off the front rim and washed the whole brake surface with Dawn dish soap. That did not work. Next I tried going over the braking surface with the rubbing alcohol over and over and over. I must have used a quarter of the bottle of alcohol. Nope. That failed. I used 200 grit sandpaper on the pads. Nope. I think that made it worse. I toed in the pads using a thick rubber band around the end of the pad. Nope. None of these tricks worked.

So before I buy a whole new rim, can anyone tell me how to get these pads to shut the hell up so I can ride without people staring at me after my front brakes scream like a pig?

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swap the front and back pads. If the squeel follows the pads get a new set.
I've already tried that. And these were brand new, right out of the package. I've tried 3 different sets of pads. Rear never makes a sound. The front does. I tried the old pads after rescuing them from the trash. They don't make a sound. So either I have 3 sets of contaminated pads or that rim just loves old Shimano pads and nothing else.

·
furker
915 Posts
tried to bed the new pads in slowly.
Do you have a hill near by? You could try a more aggressive bed-in. Brake hard multiple times in a row, braking harder each time (don't come to a complete stop).

Brillo or SOS steel wool kitchen scrub pads will clean off all the old brake deposits back to shiny new and smooth out any imperfections on the rim. But it will still squeal until you get the brakes to bed in. Same with a new rim. It will actually squeal and brake worse with a completely clean or brand new rim until it beds in.

Do you still have the stock brake pads that came with the v-brakes? Swap those in and see if you can get them to bed in.

Double-check the torque on the brake bolts. Check the headset. Check the front axle. Check the spoke tension. Check the fork bushing play if it has a suspension fork. Anything with play can make brake squeal worse. Brake hard and watch your front axle for obvious shaking/shuddering.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Brillo or SOS steel wool kitchen scrub pads will clean off all the old brake deposits back to shiny new and smooth out any imperfections on the rim.
I will give that a try within the next few days. Too tired to worry about it tonight.
Do you still have the stock brake pads that came with the v-brakes? Swap those in and see if you can get them to bed in.
Yeah I still have them and that like to make noise as well. The only pads that will not make noise are the 10 year old original pads that came on the bike years ago. Even after all the chemicals I used on the rim they are still silent.
Double-check the torque on the brake bolts. Check the headset. Check the front axle. Check the spoke tension. Check the fork bushing play if it has a suspension fork. Anything with play can make brake squeal worse. Brake hard and watch your front axle for obvious shaking/shuddering.
All the bolts are tight, so is the headset. It's a rigid fork. Wheel was recently trued and tensioned but the brake wasn't making noise after that, the noise started with the new pads were installed. But like I said in my opening post, I've tried almost everything. Thinking of letting the LBS take a look on Monday.

·
Thicc Member
2,246 Posts
Yeah, I've had this happen. I got sealant on my rims then burned it in by braking. Soooo annoying to fix. Basically what fixed it (after trying all that stuff you tried) was getting new pads and toeing them so much that they didn't squeak, then riding them until they were worn out. This sanding action seemed to cure the rims of whatever the sealant did to them. I can run normal pads now at normal angles. Total pia. I clean everything with alcohol now when sealant is in the same room, before riding.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,980 Posts
Hey Kona0197! I’m not here to tell you how to quiet your brakes. Rather I’m jumping in to say welcome back. Haven’t seen you in a while. Remember that guy who always claimed you’re one of Finch’s socks? Well as popular as he is on this site, he recently go banned (temporarily). Kinda funny, huh. Anyway you can roam these hallowed halls without fear that he’s lurking.

Other than that, not much going on. Little skirmishes over dropper posts and front defailures but nothing beyond keeping MTBR interesting.

Get that brake to settle down and let’s go riding. Oh, and we need you to participate here on these forums more. You’re one off the good guys.
=sParty

·
Registered
842 Posts
Squeaking is caused by resonance in the frequency range that you can hear. To fix it you need to reduce the resonance or move it to a frequency you can't hear. Your rear brake might be just as "loud" but at 30kHz.

Try putting thick grease on the brake pivots.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Every time I've had a brake squeal it was solved by toeing in. If you can find another set of pad spacers, might want to file an angle into them to force a slight toe.

Reactions: shekky

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I am guessing you toed them in correctly?
Yes. They are toed in with the thickness of a nickel towards the rear of the pad. It didn't help.
Hey Kona0197! I’m not here to tell you how to quiet your brakes. Rather I’m jumping in to say welcome back. Haven’t seen you in a while. Remember that guy who always claimed you’re one of Finch’s socks? Well as popular as he is on this site, he recently go banned (temporarily). Kinda funny, huh. Anyway you can roam these hallowed halls without fear that he’s lurking.
You talking about DJ? Yeah I can't stand him. He's been told over and over that I'm not a sock puppet but he just loves to egg it on.
Toe in. That will most likely cure your noise issue. Theinitial contact of the pad to the rim should only be the front by about the thickness of a dime.
They are toed in. I used a think rubber band to toe them in to roughly to thickness of a nickel. Did not help.
Try putting thick grease on the brake pivots.
There is already a gob of lube on each pivot.
Try tensioning the wheel.
The rims were recently serviced. Trued and tensioned. The brakes were fine for a month before I put new pads on there.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Scotchbrite the braking surface and set toe in using a business card folded in half, or replace the pads wit Kool Stops. They have a slight ramp in the back to set the toe in. The arc of the pad is slightly different than the Shimano pad holders and take some force to install. One of my bikes has Avid Black Ops V's with Altek levers and ceramic rims. They have more stopping power than the Magura Marta discs on another bike.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
With all due respect, something is not right here. Brand new pads and toed in. A bit too much, but still toed in.

the only thing left is something is no longer right eith your rim surface. Do you have access to someone else’s bike? Borrow their rim and use your brakes as is, on your bike, see if noise persists?

·
Live 2 Ride
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
replace the pads wit Kool Stops
The new pads I installed ARE Kool Stop pads.
the only thing left is something is no longer right eith your rim surface. Do you have access to someone else’s bike? Borrow their rim and use your brakes as is, on your bike, see if noise persists?
I've used these pads on my other bike. They work just fine, so it has to be the rim. Gonna scrub it with steel wool here in a few to see if that helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.