Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Kirk Pacenti said:
Stan's ZTR 355
are you sure about the ZTR's being rim brake compatible?

i just looked at mine, and while the rim sidewalls appear to be:

parallel (not slanting inwards like many 'disc-only' rims),

they are not:

machined (not a deal-breaker, but not appealing either)

and would provide very little if any real estate (surface area) for a rim brake to pass over/grab onto. very little to no margin of error for pad adjustment either.....

not saying outright that you're wrong, but i would not run a rim brake on mine because with that little amount of braking-area, it would only take one really wet and sloppy ride, and any but the narrowest pads would easily rub into the tire sidewall.

***LATE EDIT***

just checked stan's site, the 650b sized ZTR355's are listed as disc-only.

·
Registered
847 Posts
From notubes email today:
"Its fine to run v-brake on that rim. It dose have a black side wall. But your pads will clean that off."

I run a ztr with a rim brake in the rear and it's been fine. No problems with brake adjustment and it's an excellent rim. It fits the Neo or Quasi better than the other rims I've tried and IMO is the better tubeless option.

onespeedpaul said:
are you sure about the ZTR's being rim brake compatible?

i just looked at mine, and while the rim sidewalls appear to be:

parallel (not slanting inwards like many 'disc-only' rims),

they are not:

machined (not a deal-breaker, but not appealing either)

and would provide very little if any real estate (surface area) for a rim brake to pass over/grab onto. very little to no margin of error for pad adjustment either.....

not saying outright that you're wrong, but i would not run a rim brake on mine because with that little amount of braking-area, it would only take one really wet and sloppy ride, and any but the narrowest pads would easily rub into the tire sidewall.

***LATE EDIT***

just checked stan's site, the 650b sized ZTR355's are listed as disc-only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.