Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the only two options for rim brake compatible 650b rims the Velocity Synergy rims or the Sun Ringle CR18s?

Or am I forgetting another viable option or two?

The reason I ask is for a bike that would be V-brake in back and disc up front.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mark, I replaced my Synergy's with the ZTR and run v-brake on the rear. It brakes at least as good as the Synergy and is the best fit for the Neo-Quasi out of the Synergy, Blunt, ZTR that I have. But the Synergy fits Fatty Rumpkins better. The Neo, Quasi, Rumpkin's are the only 650b tires that I've tried. I'm interested in hearing how the newer tires do.

MMcG said:
ZTRs are rim brake compatible???

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the scoop steelbike.

I also checked Velo Orange and they have the CR18s and a 36H Weinmann ZAC 19 rim available. I wonder how these Weinmann's perform. Do you think the Weinmann Discovery rims are OEM versions of thes ZAC 19s?

http://www.velo-orange.com/weza65rim.html

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
any updates on this? new reviews? what rim brake hoop is most worthy to lace up to chris kings?

anyone selling/looking to trade a 650b rim brake wheelset for a chris king 26" rim brake wheelset?

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
veloreality said:
what rim brake hoop is most worthy to lace up to chris kings
I laced up some Velocity Synergy rims to some Chris King hubs. I think they're certainly worthy and will be perfect on the Northeast singletrack that I'm going to subject them. :)

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
misterdangerpants said:
I laced up some Velocity Synergy rims to some Chris King hubs. I think they're certainly worthy and will be perfect on the Northeast singletrack that I'm going to subject them. :)
I really like the Synergy rims. They hold up well. Really well.

I used the "front" rim for back.

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
man, i cant find the syergy's in stock anywhere(wholesale)
but qbp has the dyad rims in stock in silver....not sure if im down with the semi aero look though, what do you think?

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
I don't think it is too crazy- maybe about as semi aero as the Synergy, really.... Guess the Synergies got plugged.

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
umarth said:
I don't think it is too crazy- maybe about as semi aero as the Synergy, really.... Guess the Synergies got plugged.
seems like it. i think ill give j&b a shot before i order up the dyads. they always seem to have the stuff i cant find anywhere else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts