Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After not really giving much attention to rotating weight in the 4 years I've been riding
29ers (apart from noticing the diff between say exiwolfs and Jones ACS tires) I decided to experiment with light 26 in tubes.

That was a mistake. While I think I may have noticed a snappier and quicker acceleration with the lighter tubes, I got more flats in a month than I usually get in a year. ANd the problem wasn't just teh flats, it was trying to mount them. All my tires fit extremely loose. What a pain in the a$$ it is to strectch a 26" tube over a 29er rim while trying to keep the tire from falling off. I had to do this a few times on the side of a mosquito infested trail. Did you know if you get bug spray on your helmet it melts the plastic?

So back to 29inch tubes.

But not for long...I just finished building up a wheelset with the Bontrager Duster rims because I read a while back that they are a good option in tubeless. Except there are no rim strips available yet. I know, there are plenty of threads on that already and I saw the alternative setups people are using. But this is my first experience with tubeless. It would be nice to have a standardized setup available already. Is that too much to ask?

So I'll just use tubes for now. Not so fast... Two broken plastic tire levers and one blood blister on my thumb later, I still can't get a single tire from my pile of prematurely-worn-out-sidewall tires on the f'n rim. And I've got lots of nice gouges and scratches on my brand new rims from trying to use metal tire levers. From too loose to too tight. :madman:

All this coming right after a weekend of riding up a real mountain with heavy mud covered
29er tyres has me about ready to ditch the whole format.

waaa waaa waaa.

Rant over.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Stans rim. No air compressors. No rim strips. No flats. No metal tire lvers needed. Real weight savings.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Tell us later if the time won on the stopwach matches the "feel" and the investment you made.

Why do people want snappy feeling bikes, yet ride SUV's to get through urban traffic jams?

Tubeless will make your bike significantly better in many ways, if you get it to work. Just not for the thing you're nomination as prime reason.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Evel Knievel said:
Stans rim. No air compressors. No rim strips. No flats. No metal tire lvers needed. Real weight savings.
+1 on the stan's rims. They were designed for tubeless use. All you need is the yellow tape after the build.

Never heard of those Bontragers, but if you have to add a big rubber strip after the fact, that does not really seem to be well "designed" for tubeless. Stan's and the Mavic's are the two I know of that were really made for it.

26" tubes work fine BTW, just put a little more air in them before installing to get them to "grow" to the right diameter. If you have to stretch them much you are more likely to pinch the tube under the bead before inflation. 26" tubes on a 29 are also more likely to pinch-flat tho since the rubber is stretched thin. Do yourself a favor and if you want to run tubes, get the Schwalbe's, they are 140 grams, only 10 grams heavier than an "ultra light" 26er tube from Performance. Oh, and they are made for 29ers. I sense a repeating theme here...;-) And Specialized just started making 29er tubes too...I think they are running around 150g. Still lighter than the "thin" Salsa's I had before at 180g, and if you are running QBP or some such generic 29er tube, forgetaboutit...cement wheels.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Tell us later if the time won on the stopwach matches the "feel" and the investment you made.

Tubeless will make your bike significantly better in many ways, if you get it to work.
Tubeless works great when the system dosn't require an air compressor. Only Stans rim has allowed me to set a bead trailside with a handpump. The ghetto life is tragic and filled with failures.

Everyone runs tires at pressures as low as or lowwer than the tires manufactures recommend. This leads to burps and peels. Acceptable when you acknowledge you are below the safety spec.

Was it woth it? Hundreds of thorns I've pulled or just left in , without a single flat in many years. The tubed city bike got shelved with flats on every ride from thorns. (Yes I live in Goatheadville USA). For me there is no other way. Better traction and weight saving are nice too.

Ride is about flow. How many times have you stopped mid ride to add air to a slow-leak tube, then ride on to do it again and again rather than stop and repair it right just not to ruin the flow?

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cloxxki said:

Why do people want snappy feeling bikes, yet ride SUV's to get through urban traffic jams?

Tubeless will make your bike significantly better in many ways, if you get it to work. Just not for the thing you're nomination as prime reason.
Thanks Cloxxki. You've given me a lot to think about.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
How about running some 26" downhill tubes... that's what I've been doing. I know most will think that's crazy (it was hard to convice myself to just try'em) but I like them.

I've been able to run 15psi front WW and 20psi rear Exi with this setup and have no tire squirm (165lb rider bike rigid SS). :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.