Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm looking at buying new wheels after using Mavic Crossmax SLs for ages.

I weigh around 195lbs (88kgs), race XC and endurance. I ride rough trails but no big drops. I'd like (in this order!) durability/strength, tubeless, light.

Chris King hubs are pretty much a definite. However there seems to be too many good rims to choose from!

I'm thinking maybe Mavic 717 or 819 or DT 4.2d or NoTubes... Whats the general consensus on an awesome match up to these killer hubs? It would be nice to have a wheelset last forever with the right servicing...!

Send me your advice! What and why would you choose these components?

Cheers.:)

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
The kings are a good choice. I have a rear King and love it. I just have the lbs clean and relube once a yr, and it's bombproof.

I vote for the Mavic 819 rim. strong and is ust.

The Stan's Flow rims also have my interest as a front rim, but I dont have a wheel built with that rim yet. Its a little wider to handle those bigger tires.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
-Durability/Strength first along with true UST compatibility and ease would be the X819...but it's not the lightest.

-Lightweight first, but still durable and tubeless (but not UST) would be NoTubes Arch

Built correctly (ie proper tension) both should be long lasting though my bet would be on the X819 lasting longer. However..."last forever" is not going to happen with either. If you want to run standard tires tubeless, then the NoTubes would be the better choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've ended up ordering a set of Chris King hubs laced with DT DB spokes to Mavic 819's. As UST, should end up about the same weight as most of the other more durable rims I checked out. Cool!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.