Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sold on the idea of thru-axles for clydes, but I haven't seen any rigid forks with thru-axles. Does such a thing exist?

Is there a licensing issue in the way, or a "you wouldn't want to use a rigid fork on terrain that requires a thru-axle anyway" issue?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Personally, I don't see the appeal of rigid forks. If you are 140 pounds, maybe. But being a clyde, my body takes enough of a beating anyways even with suspension. Plus, many rigid forks these days cost the same as a decent suspension fork. I have ridden one, and, for me, the "wow, that's cool" factor wore off pretty quickly. Again, though, I fully admit I may not be the target audience for rigid forks.

But, to answer your question, I don't know that such an animal exists. If it does, I have never seen one. I don't believe there is any licensing involved. A lot of people that run rigid forks do so for weight savings, and a wheel set that uses a through-axle is usually heavier than the lightweight wheels rigid fork users use, so they don't use them.

I may be completely wrong, though. If I am, someone correct me...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm 265...

and love my full rigid SS (but I do have a 5" travel Ventana as well:D ). If you are looking for a thru axle rigid fork, Walt of Waltworks is the man to talk to. He is primarily a 29er builder, but I imagine he would have no problem building a 26" version if that's what you require. Pisgahproductions is running one of the first rigid thru-axles that Walt built and he just built up a second Waltworks with thru axle fork on it as well. If you do a search in the 29er forum, you should find something.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Several 20mm dedicated thru axle rigid forks are out there. Just have to know where to look...
http://bti-usa.com
Funn
DMR
Identiti

All would make a very rigid front end. You could also run a standard qr fork with a nutted hub instead of a qr and accomplish stiffness comparable to 20mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
I stand corrected...

Although, I will go on the record saying this - I don't get the appeal of rigid forks. My first mountain bike had a rigid fork. I saved up and got a suspension fork (I think it was an Indy XC) and was never happier. But, I guess that's why they make more than one kind of fork so we have all these choices.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why a 20mm rigid fork?

The main reason I'm looking for a 20mm rigid fork:

I'm a 300#clyde, and I expect to damage my 20mm suspension fork at some point, and have to send it to the factory.

I'd rather just have a rigid backup that I can use my front wheel on without messing with the hub. I can get an extra King crown race and stick it on the rigid.

Riding on a QR is worrisome.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
IAmCosmo said:
Personally, I don't see the appeal of rigid forks. If you are 140 pounds, maybe. But being a clyde, my body takes enough of a beating anyways even with suspension. Plus, many rigid forks these days cost the same as a decent suspension fork. I have ridden one, and, for me, the "wow, that's cool" factor wore off pretty quickly. Again, though, I fully admit I may not be the target audience for rigid forks.

I agree and your body will thank you later on

·
Registered
537 Posts
beanfink said:
The main reason I'm looking for a 20mm rigid fork:

I'm a 300#clyde, and I expect to damage my 20mm suspension fork at some point, and have to send it to the factory.

I'd rather just have a rigid backup that I can use my front wheel on without messing with the hub. I can get an extra King crown race and stick it on the rigid.

Riding on a QR is worrisome.
I agree about the through axle. Just not the rigid thing. With the price of rigid forks, I would just buy a cheaper used suspension fork as a backup. But, that's just me. I'm not the one riding it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.