Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience running a Surly Instigator with a rigid fork, a 24-inch x 3.0 rear tire, and a 26-inch x 2.7 inch tire up front. I have my Instigator set up with a 26/24 wheel set-up now using Kenda K-Rad 2.35 tires and a Psylo up front. I want to ditch the Psylo and put a rigid Instigator fork up front and some monster Arrow tires on the bike. Just curious if anyone has this set-up and how it's working out for them. I want to use this bike as my do-it-all hardtail to take me from my local skatepark to ride some singletrack, and also to do some light freeriding, all in the same ride. Cheers!

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
I've been running the Instigator on the front of one of my bikes for a fair while now, and use it for anything from urban drops to flat, cross country trail rides, super rough and rocky "AM" style rides and even the odd occasional endurance event! The bike was never intended to be used like that, but that's a whole other story… :D :p

The front tyre I'm running in the two photos is a Geax Sedona 2.3 inch, and seemed a little bigger then the K-Rad 2.3 inch that it replaced. As you can see there is plenty of room for much bigger tyres. The fork itself has put up with my abuse no problem at all, and for a cheap steel fork it's nice and stiff but seems to have a little "give", although nothing like a high end rigid fork. I think you'll be more then happy with it.

Dave.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.