Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My head is spinning after spending several hours reading through the various rim/wheel threads on here, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to post another based on my situation. Looking to build up a new set of wheels for my Unit 29er, fully rigid, to replace the stock wheelset (which has incredibly cruddy hubs, btw).

I'm 165 lbs, in Colorado, and use this as my only bike for all of my riding and XC racing. I ride the typical Front Range/mountain/Fruita stuff. I am looking for hubs and rims that are light for racing but also strong enough to take a beating on a rigid bike in rocky terrain. Want to keep a freewheel hub, as I've got a nice ENO to use. Currently running Ignitors, but considering a Rampage up front or even a WTB WW. Not looking to get superblinged out (i.e. King or I9 hubs), just want a setup that works well and will last a long time. Options I've been considering:

Hubs: Surly, White Industries
Rims: Stans Arch, Stans Flow, DT Swiss TK7.1d, Mavic TN719, WTB Laserdisc

My biggest questions relate to rim choice. Lots of people on here seem really high on Stans. I've never run tubeless but would consider it if it's really that sweet. On the other hand, I'm not too keen on spending a ton of time getting beads seated, etc. I've also read some concerns about Stans rim quality. If I went with Stan's would the Arch or Flow be more appropriate?

And are the DT Swiss and Mavic options wide enough for a bigger tire? Are the WTBs too beefy for my needs and weight?

Sorry for all the questions, but any suggestions are appreciated.

·
This place needs an enema
17,236 Posts
Nice when someone posts this much info--suggestions are easy.

Arch laced to Surly. 2.0/1.8 3x up front, 2.0/1.7/1.8 laced 2x or 3x out back.

MC

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. So if I went with the Arches, exactly what else do I need to go tubeless? Valve stem ("olympic?"), yellow tape, and sealant? Anything else?

·
Old fast guy
98 Posts
yes on the above and i would get a white industries frt hub to match the rear. at our shop we are fond of sapim spokes, for the wieght savings and just the way they tension is unreal.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Any love for Flow? (no, not the waitress from Alice...)

My riding and needs are identical to the OP's and I face the same decision. I was wondering when you guys would recommend the wider Flow rim over the Arch?

Heavier rider weight?
Agressive riding/jumping?
Trail-specific applications?
Especially strong quads?

If using the same size tire, would the Flows be slightly better at keeping tires from coming off the rim?

Thanks.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
You can get high on Stan's? I had no idea...

FWIW, I am 185 lbs buck nekkid, and run the Stan's ZTR 355's. Like an Arch with less extra reinforcement. Full-rigid bike, all over the CO front range, and the Leadville 100 and Silver Rush courses last year. The Silver Rush is so rocky, I had bruises on my arm from my wristwatch after. I have never taken a spoke wrench to these wheels since they were built. It really is all in the build, art not science.

I also own an eno freewheel. My primary bikes have cassettes...not being able to swap cogs up or down a tooth or two once in awhile is such a pain. Even if you had multiple ENO's...changing freewheels if you actually ride offroad SS is a royal pain. I have a large metal pipe to put on the end of a wrench to get enough leverage. And for the cost of multiple eno's...you could afford King hubs or whatever. The White is such a nice freewheel, but freewheels do fundamentally suck. :-(

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Treat yourself to 36h at least for the rear. On a SS, it really counts. Sub-ounce in weight from 4 extra spokes offers 12.5% wheel stiffness. What would a SSer do?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm a lot heavier than the OP (I'm 275 lbs). I have Flow's on my fulls suspension trailbike (RIP9) which gets ridden HARD. I have Arches on my singlespeed, which seem to hold up find and are appropriate for that bike. If I were jumping and hitting drops on the arches, they might not handle it so well, but that's not what I do on the SS. The wider Flow rim is nice for bigger tires, but I have Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4's on my arches right now, and they feel great.

32 hole seems to be getting it done just fine, even for a big guy like me, but if you are incredibly strong and mash on your SS, you might want 36H rear like Cloxxki says. 2.0/1.8 spokes like Mikesee suggested will work great and build up plenty stiff. I would do 3X front and rear personally.

Tubeless is just as easy as you said - stans + yellow tape + valve stem + most any tire + sealant + soapy water + air compressor = setup fine. Once setup, you will probably have next to NO maintenance/etc on the setup.

No worries about Stan's quality - they are great rims in my book. I wouldn't ride anything else right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.