Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a FS 29er and am thinking about getting a rigid SS 29 to change things up a bit. For people who own both bikes, which one do you ride more often?

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I ride 5-7 days a week, interchanging 4-5 different bikes that are all rigid - a Ti 26" XC 2X9, an Aluminum 26" XC 2X8, a steel 1X8 cyclocross, a steel cyclocross SS, and my On One Inbred 2X8.

I have one full suspension bike (MotoBecane Comp DS) that I ride 4 times a year - those rides are for when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to muscle a rigid bike.

My trails are from extremely technical to basic fireroads and everything in between.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a redline monocog and a RIP9. Out on the trails I almost always ride the rip. I live in the Phoenix area so our trails are full of rocks. I can only take the abuse of the rigid for so long on the moncog.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
the SS gets 75% of ride frequency

but the FS gets 75% of ride time

having both is a great idea!

·
Slave to the grind
519 Posts
yeah go with both. cant wait to build an FS again. i ended up riding my FS more but i do it with the goal of getting fit enough to hammer the rigid ss on the trails again. I think when i say fit its more of getting my mind fit enough to accept the idea of going rigid ss more than anything. lol

·
Fat & Single
4,136 Posts
3 out of 4 rides on my Rigid SS lately . Just depends where im riding and how i feel :thumbsup:

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
meltingfeather said:
I find myself reaching for my rigid ss more often than my dually XC bike... but every time I get on my dually it feels great!
Pretty much agree.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just got back on the rigid SS last night for the first time in 2.5 months, after breaking my elbow. Man was it rough. Glad I had the FS to ride while recovering. Sure is nice to have both, SS is mainly for winter riding and FS for the rest of the year.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Timewise: 92% SS rigid, 5% FSR, 2% parade/b'man bike, 1% road bike. Once I'm in shape for the SS the FSR is just a heavy boring boat. :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, you guys convinced me. I need to get a decent SS because it's going to be getting a lot of use.

·
Registered
579 Posts
tubadude said:
When I got my rigid SS I pretty much stopped riding my Ellsworth Moment. If I had a light FS I might ride it but the SS is just so much faster for the vast majority of trails.
My rigid SS made me appreciate my 07 Moment that much more.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
10 % rigid steel single speed, 20 % ti hardtail 1X6, 30% 6 inch AM 26er, 20% 7 inch FR 26er, 20% 8 inch DH 26er for the main riding season.

during early or late season Tahoe riding, when snow on trails or rainy weather is involved, i tend to spend more time on the rigid single speed...like, 50% rather than 10%.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
I have a Ti hardtail SS29r with fairly high end components and ever since I built it, it's the only thing I ride....even for tough climbs, and rocky terrain.
However, I have a low $ rigid SS29r (haro mary) that I have in another city where I often work and it's not nearly as fun to ride as my Ti hardtail.

The Ti bike is just so much fun...

So, Ti SS Hardtail 100% when I'm home, Rigid Haro Mary SS 100% away from home...but the later is simply because it's my only bike away from home.

·
NedwannaB
12,767 Posts
I like your math

Raybum said:
So, Ti SS Hardtail 100% when I'm home, Rigid Haro Mary SS 100% away from home...but the later is simply because it's my only bike away from home.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts