Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding chunky trails with a rigid fork at speed is a handful. There are a lot of ways to set up your bike to help take the edge off but the biggest factor is the front tire.

A bigger tire up front makes a big difference. Along those lines I got thinking about a 29+ up front paired with a regular 29" out back.

Anyone out there try this?

I also know that once the front tire gets "too big" you loose a lot of overall quickness of the SS. Even without going as far as a 29+ I've found at a point the trades off between cush and sluggishness are no longer worth it.

What are you rigid riders running up front? What are some of the bigger tires out there right now that work well?

(Rode and raced rigid SS years back but my fitness fell off and had to give it up. Now, I'm back and closer to fighting shape and want a piece of the action.)

Let's keep suspension forks out of this. That's a whole different animal.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Currently have a Nobby Nic 2.35 up front, was always happy with a racing Ralph 2.4.

I have Niner carbon forks on both my mtb's...not sure how big I can go. Guess I've been sitting back waiting for more options for a 29+ tire.

Interested in hearing other's thoughts on this as well.

SPP

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
So I've been playing around with this the last three years.

I've done:

Smaller rims under 24 mm internal
Tires between 2.0 and 2.4.
Supple sidewall tires.
Tubless.
Larger rims around 30mm internal.
ESI chunky and now Extra Chunky grips.
Carbon bar.
29+ Krampus with Knards, Rabbit Hole rims.
29+ Krampus with Rabbit Holes and 2.4 tires.
29+ Krampus with 35mm rim and 2.4 tire rear, Rabbit Hole 50mm rim on the front.

What I've found is exactly what you are thinking already. You are smarter than I since I was dumb enough to try all of this and simply came up with this:

I like the larger width rims to help balloon the tire. I use Blunt 35 from Velocity and Derby carbon 35mm rims.
2.4 tire minimum. Using, Ardents or Racing Ralph 2.4s. Although Racing Ralph only come in 2.35 now, but my understanding is they are the same size as the old 2.4s.

I did not like the Krampus 29+ for ss rigid use. As you say, it takes away the snappiness. Many riders are having a blast, but it's a personal feel thing. Not for me.
So, I put 2.4 tires on my Krampus. Kept the 50mm rabbit hole rims. Still felt like it was bogging.
Tried the 50mm Rabbit Hole and 3.0 Knard front only. Nope. Still not my thing.

I've now gone back to my old standard. Blunt 35 and 2.4 Racing Ralph! I run them under 17 psi.

I also found the other thing that makes ss rigid tolerable is fat, soft grips like the ESI extra chunkys.
My race face carbon bar has a good amount of flex. Love that too.
Carbon P6 Hiflex Syntace seat post is also great. Niner RDO supposed to be great too.

That's it! So I spent a lot of money trying 29+ plus other rims and tires. Didn't like it nor do I like the feeling of rims over 35mm or tires over 2.4.

Now, when I see some light 40 mm carbon 29er rims and 2.5 - 2.7 lightweight tires like the Racing Ralphs, you'd be talkin'! Good luck.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I haven't spent as much money as thickfog did, but I can tell you a good 2.3 or 2.4 tire (my current favorite is the Ardent 2.4 EXO) run tubeless on a set of 28mm rims at 25 PSI (I'm 215lbs or so) works really well for me, even with an AL bar. I'm looking to change that to carbon, but that's less important than replacing my frame at the moment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am on a Kona P2 (steel) fork, WTB Frequency i23 rims and Geax Gato 2.3 tire (tubeless) set at 20-22 PSI. This has been good for me so far.
I recently switched (1 ride) from an aluminum bar to a carbon and I really can't say there is a significant difference. I am looking to switch tires to a WTB Weirwolf 2.3, but mainly for the traction/tread pattern change.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
thickfog makes some great points here.
Like the others, I prefer wide (28-35mm) rims with 2.4 tires.
Have learned that most often big volume & rolling resistance wins over beefy grip. (Ra-Ra /Ardent vs. Rampage /Stout)
If smooth & fast, Ra-Ra, if chunky, or wet Ardent. Another contender may be the huge Ikon 2.35, which I've only used as a rear.
YMMV

·
Registered
863 Posts
I put a Krampus fork on my SS and would like to hear others experiences also. Currently running 29 x 2.1 Kenda Small Block 8s on skinny Alex rims since that is what I had laying around. I was thinking Knard up front and maybe the new WTB 27.5 x 2.8 in back.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most recently running a Specialized Purgatory, 2.4, up front on a Flow. 2.3 Purg out back.

Oury's for the last ten years. Didn't know there was another grip?

New find... A Specialized S-Works wide carbon bar. Very flexy - in a good way. My old 25.4 Al Monkey bars were good but not wide enough, and overall no where as nice as these Spec bars. If this Spec bar dies would consider a custom Ti bar.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RR 2.4 up front but recently went to a nobby nic 2.35 on my rigid jabber. Running Luv Handles for bars with Oury grips. Best setup I've found, but haven't tried a carbon bar yet...
The stiffest bar I ever rode that really beat me up was a carbon bar.

The most compliant comfortable bar I ever rode was a carbon bar.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I followed a similar path to thickfog but ended up going the 29+ route.

I started running an ardent on the front of my GF Paragon with an On One carbon fork then put P35s on it with a knard out front and Racing Ralf out back. I loved this setup. Never felt the mass of the big wheel up front. Ran it between 12psi and 18psi depending on the trail. Ran 18 to 22 on the back.

I loved the feel so much I got a full 29+ rig (Carved Gnarvester) and am running it SS. I have to admit the whhel weight surprised me initially and I blew up on the first race I did on it but I am used to it now and have the pressures dialed and really love it. Bike weight is about 10.5 kg.

I do race but am not a racer boy.
I would definately suggest trying the knard on a relatively light 35mm plus rim like a blunt or dually.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm on a N9 with a Krampus fork, flow and ardent, extra chunkies on a syntace carbon bar. Pretty nice! I've got a minion on a P35 to try out soon as well, significant weight increase so I'm curious about it on the trail...

Which bar?
Got it last year and not sure the bar advertised now is the exact same thing....

Specialized Bicycle Components

It is "only" 720mm wide, and wish it were a bit wider, but hey.... 12 years ago the widest DH bars I owned were 720mm.

·
Registered
615 Posts
SS: Currently rolling on a 2.4 Conti. Mt.King at 24 to 28 psi / Stan's Arch Ex / Niner carbon bar / Whiskey (clone) carbon fork on my Civilian Luddite....Great combo.

1x10: 2.25 Nobby Nic at 24 to 28 psi / Easton Haven Carbon / Thompson carbon bar / Niner carbon fork on my Stumpy EVO ht. I will replace the front tire with the Conti. Mt.King 2.4 when the NN wears out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've done the whole rigid thing a few times & sworn off it as many times, but now I'm back for another round. Used to race up to 12 hr enduros on it, so comfort was a biiiig factor.
Fav combo a few years back was p35 with ardent 2.4 under 20psi. I didn't like any less chunky tyres as I feel you need some help when mid corner bumps skip out your tyre.
Hopefully Ibis will sell their new 40mm wide carbon rims as rims only soon, they'd be awesome combined with the new chronicle.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also wide bars are great for maintaining control in the chunk, I've not tried them but hear Mt Zoom bars are flexy & tough, would like them a bit wider.

Finally body position is a big thing. Get your weight off the bars as much as possible so the big hits don't rock so hard.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My rigid front set up is:

2.2 Conti X-King Protection on a 32h Crest Rim built with DT Swiss Revolution Spokes.
Salsa Cro Moto Grande steel fork - Tapered Steerer, 15mm Thru Axle.
Thomson X4 90mm 90 degree Stem
Thomson Carbon All Mountain Bar
SRAM Contour Lock On Foam grips

This seems to be pretty nice on my hands, even on rocky rides I don't come back with sore arms. Carbon bars and soft large diameter grips seem to do wonders. If you are on a carbon fork, before switching wheels and tires out I suggest trying a good steel fork or a less stiff carbon fork. The carbon forks I've ridden really beat me up with what I feel is excessive stiffness. My steel fork tracks great and feels plenty stiff, but just doesn't seem to be as jarring as the carbon ones I've tried.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.