Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine has a raleigh that i cant seem to remember the model of(so for now its a mystery raleigh) that has no shocks, i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get my friend a set of entry level shocks so he can keep up with me. my big question is, if i get my friend a set of shocks will that change the geometry of the bike so that it didnt ride as well( up hill for example

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
carnage said:
a friend of mine has a raleigh that i cant seem to remember the model of(so for now its a mystery raleigh) that has no shocks, i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get my friend a set of entry level shocks so he can keep up with me. my big question is, if i get my friend a set of shocks will that change the geometry of the bike so that it didnt ride as well( up hill for example
If it's a more recent rigid, it may be suspension corrected. If it's vintage, the swap will change the geometry. How much depends on the specific bike and whether it's still a good ride with the swap depends on personal taste and riding style. If you're doing XC riding that's not too technical and without much steep descending, your friend probably won't want the geometry change because it will slow down the steering some. If, however, the riding is technical and you do some steep downhill, the change might actually be welcome. In any case, I assume you're considering short travel (63 or 80mm).

Remember that entry level shocks, if new, can cost as much as a quality used hardtail that's already set up for suspension and might even have nicer components. Availability depends on where you live, but Craigslist is a good place to find used bikes and, unlike Ebay, check them out before buying.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
carnage said:
k thanks for the info, i think he got it used and its probably about a 2000ish year model
If it's newer than about 1995 and it's rigid, it's a pretty low-end bike; so my theory about finding another used bike vs. a new fork would probably apply. On the other hand, a used fork can be pretty cheap.

If you can get more info on the bike (model, components) and/or photos, people here can offer more info. There's always a chance it's older than that and more high-end. Raleigh made some really good stuff in the early 90s and went down market after that, but continued to offer good quality bikes at various price levels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts