Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to buy a new bike for all around use. I can't choice between rigid MTB and gravel bikes.
Ghost LECTOR X 8.9 UC - Lightweight rigid carbon MTB, in my country price %25 off 2450€
Or
2400$ - 2500$ Range gravel bike. Giant etc.
I should buy Ghost's MTB or Gravel bike? City and off-road using.

·
Cycologist
10,085 Posts
Is "off-road" gravel roads, single track or what? If single track, pretty mild or really chunky? Are you currently riding a mountain bike and a road bike? Some people don't like drop bars, are you ok with them? Some people don't like riding mtbs long distances on pavement.

I have a CX and a rigid 27.5 mtb. I'll ride the CX if I'm riding mixed surfaces, pavement, gravel, pathways, and some milder singletrack. I ride the rigid mtb on singletrack; it's a SS so I don't enjoy it on pavement but prefer it on rougher trails. I'm not a big fan of riding long distances on the pavement on a mtb. But a lot of this is dependent on the tires; a rigid mtb with more road tires would be good and a CX/gravel with wider tires (mine are only 32mm) would be better off road than what I'm doing. So you really need to think about where you will be riding.

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
I've ridden several gravel races cyclocross/touring bikes with drop bars and on a hardtail with a rigid fork and comfy bar ends. I much prefer the drop handlebar for the variety of hand positions and the aerodynamic benefits of getting low in a headwind. Many of the modern "gravel" bikes can take huge tires, so you should have no problem with traction. Gravel bikes tend to have more clearance for bigger chainrings. Of you feel the need for a bike that handles like a mountain bike, get a rigid mtb.

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
I am probably in the minority, but I ride everything on my rigid 29+ (Surly Krampus)...gravel, single track, pavement...I purposefully bought the bike b/c (in my eyes) it can do it all. I don't race. I don't Strava. I just ride. I only have the extra income to own one bike, and wanted a multi-use bike. All I do is change the air pressure tires for the different surfaces. I use (Surly) Knards

Reactions: knutso

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
That ghost lector's geometry looks like a gravel bike to me, just well longer for any given size. I would take that in a second for the bigger tire clearance and the lower standover. Also I prefer the wider stance ( q factor ) of mtb cranks, and have had success monkeying around with stems and stack height to get drops onto mtb frames.

I think your choice would come down to how often you would run pure road tires. If you are going to do alot on road tires, the cranks/gearing available for a 68mm BB shelled gravel bike may be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Depends on what you are doing and whether you like drop bars or not.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,546 Posts
I wanted to buy a new bike for all around use. I can't choice between rigid MTB and gravel bikes.
Ghost LECTOR X 8.9 UC - Lightweight rigid carbon MTB, in my country price %25 off 2450€
Or
I ride a rigid bike for everything. The Ghost looks like it would work for all but the roughest trails. I think the CX bike would limit you to smoother terrain.

-F

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,786 Posts
Where will you spend more time, singletrack or pavement. Either bike can do the stuff in between, my choice would be based on where you'll spend more time at the ends of the spectrum.

Who even makes rigid MTBs these days, other than Surly? I just don't see 'em around anymore, except old ones (which I think are still great).
You must not be looking very hard.

·
High Plains Luddite
181 Posts
You must not be looking very hard.
No, I'm not actively shopping at this time, but I do waste way too much time surfing bike stuff on the web when I should be working and I find rigid MTBs to be plentiful on craigslist but not on manufacturers' websites.

Kona, Trek, Salsa, Marin, etc. There are not many, but featherweight XC race bikes, bikepackers, and singlespeeds with rigid forks are common. They come and go with each model year.
Well, Trek seems to have four on their site today - but two are fatbikes and two are kids' bike with 20" and 24" wheels. So, in my opinion that's zero "regular" rigid MTBs.

Kona has two rigid mountain bikes - the geared Unit X and SS Unit. The others are fatbikes or kids' bikes.

Looks like Salsa has two rigid fatbikes, and the Fargo. I guess the Fargo counts.

Marin doesn't appear to have any rigid MTBs, unless the Four Corners with drop bars counts - and it looks pretty cool. But, they don't list it under MTBs on their site.

Hey, I didn't come in to argue, believe me. Rigid (and steel) MTBs are the only bikes that interest me these days.

And I love drop bars. But I guess the reason I ride a 1993 (or '94, not sure) bike is because I haven't seen any rigid MTBs that I think would be any more fun or capable than what I already have.

I keep eyeing Surly bikes online but have never ridden one. I'm positively drooling over the Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frame as well, but I guess my rather irrelevant point here is in the Rigid MTBs vs. Gravel Bikes debate, there aren't many new rigid MTBs to choose from.

Edited to add - that Orbea looks neat. I've heard that name, but it's not a brand I'm familiar with.

·
Cycologist
10,085 Posts
Marin doesn't appear to have any rigid MTBs, unless the Four Corners with drop bars counts - and it looks pretty cool. But, they don't list it under MTBs on their site.
The Pine Mountain is rigid. PM1 and PM2 are not.

·
The joy of ski is Yours
1,367 Posts
Or
This is non-sequitur scenario.
A mountainbike handlebar is for control over varied-terrain and, whatever gravel bike it is of choice should have handlebar in a road orientation.
These are something kept to a staying in the saddle riding style.
There's no deviation of the two.
So - it's either work up to touching your palms to the floor when touching your toes (don't bend at the knee) and ride drop bars well or...
ride in a prone-position while in a rural environment.

Human Physiology has Shoulder Structure most-apt to highest strengths and stabilities in prone position - hands-out, parallel to the floor, extended straight to front. MotoCross, Mountain Bike, BMX all have this riding position and is dictated by terrain. Drop bars kinda / sorta get capable but, it is absolutely intent upon endurance, distance and also aero.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Personally, I picked a hardtail MTB (Kona Explosif) as my "other bike" I feel it's far more versatile, in that it does a much better job of riding road/gravel than a gravel bike would do of riding "proper" mtb trails. I commute to work by riding in on the road and home via the local mtb park, tyre choice and pressure makes a big difference and I don't mind sacrificing the rolling efficiency anyway as I'm riding it for exercise, not to score KOMs or win races. YMMV.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,184 Posts
I ride both...

Soma Wolverine gravel/cx bike setup tubeless with 2.2" front / 1.8" rear tires and currently three rigid 29er's; one of the steel ones is going and keeping another plus a Titanium frame one too for N+1 lol

I commute to work more often on the Wolverine (~40 mi round trip) but enjoy mixing it up with others too.

I've done numerous gravel rides on both (up to maybe 90 miles in a day) and assuming you are not going full bore pace at all times, either setup works fine. I don't enjoy riding drop bars on the trails or bumpier gravel rides so much.

Reactions: jcd46

·
Banned
203 Posts
Gravel bike if you want to ride gravel roads, rigid MTB if you want to ride singletrack. Demo some and see what you want, "off-road" isn't enough description for us to help you.
Gravel bike if you want to ride singletrack or gravel roads.

Rigid MTB if you want to ride gravel roads or singletrack.

Your absolute statements about what can/should be ridden "off-road" are funny.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Both options are great and it really comes down to personal preference. If you're comfortable on a curly bar bike than that's what I would recommend. But a lot of people are more comfortable on a flat bar bike so that might be the better option.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I always suggest delay gratification and try stuff. We've got 4 same height parents and kids sharing a fleet. Our steel hard tail MTB with faster tires is a great all around bike and so are a pair of off road touring or gravel types. The Sutra Ltd and Fargo are quite MTB like and perfectly fine for covering a lot of miles if paved or easy gravel.

The 23 mm inner width 29r rims let you do tires that are great in about all conditions.

Friends who try these call them the road bikes for MTB riders or for the Sutra Ltd, the road bike you can jump. The steel hardtail MTB that gets this sort of use has a 120 mm fork and it locked is nice for the mixed use because you still have the performance for true MTB riding or urban trials type play.

The Honzo has 29 mm inner rims but with a big fast Riddler in back, Trail Boss in front and frame bag you get a great ride for getting point A to B and one of the most capable and fun bikes ever made.

Don't exactly fixate on these with so many great bikes out there but it is no mystery to me why Fargos and Honzos are generations old now with a big following. The Sutra Ltd. kind of meets them in the middle.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Tire

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.