Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to a city where trails aren't close and I won't have any time to drive to any decent trails. I'm going to sell my turner burner frame and RS reba fork and plan to build up a city bike for commuting/tooling around using my components.

I'm looking at Soma Groove, One One Inbred geared, JensonUSA Zion. Any opinions on these bikes?

Any other suggestions that won't break the bank?

Thnx in advance ...

Berardino

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
The best commuters are the old classic mountain bikes that have a geometry closer to road bikes than they do modern mountain bikes. After this, there are many hybrids out there and one could always convert and customize their own ride. I happen to have one bike that falls into each category.

The hands up / heads up position is beneficial when you commute as it's more comfortable and makes you more visible.

My rigid SS ('87 Kuwahra Cascade)...it used to be an 18 speed but now runs a 38:18. It was great as a gearie and even better as an SS. If I drive to work it takes 35 minutes...my winter commute has been taking me 33 minutes as I can travel in a straighter line, avoid trafiic congestion, and maintain a good cruising speed regardless of the road conditions.

Take a Raleigh road frame, swap the racing tires for 26 by 1.75 hybrids and replace the 12 speed drive with an SA 3 speed and you get my Critter. She's nearly as fast as my roadies but doesn't mind the potholes and bumps in the road. The picture doesn't show her wearing her skirts...er...fenders, which are essential on a commuter. The Sa hub is also ideal for any wet weather riding as it is impervious to moisture and mud..

And finally...my Trek 7500 with a 24 speed drive. When it's dry and warm and I want to make time this is the girl I'll be riding.

I have 11 other bikes that I could commute with and sometimes do but these three bikes are going to be handling most of my commuting.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Spend the least money on your commuter, I would go with an old mtb rigid bike.. look in your craigslist, sometimes you can find the right bike for you at a very nice price. The general public is stuck on the fact "suspension is better" so these bikes are normally cheaper..sometimes even so than used walmart bikes.

Fix it up a little, but most of the time I find that they are in pretty good working condition, just a bit dusty or muddied.

This is of course if your parking your bike outside, if your rich enough and have your own office to put your bike in then just get any new bike XD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.