Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
escapee
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my girlfriend to start riding trails with me, and she seems excited to do so.. but she has a commuter bike right now that she spent almost $600 on last year.

So we put an ad on craigslist to trade it with someone for a mountain bike, but have only gotten one reply so far. It's a Fuji Suncrest, pictured below, not sure what year...

What I'm wondering first is, would this be a good beginner bike for mild-moderate single track riding?

Also, does anyone have an idea of the quality/cost of a bike like this as compared to what my girlfriend has now - an 08 or 09 Schwinn Voyageur (also pictured below)

Worth the trade? Or should we try to sell the Schwinn for maybe $300 (not sure how much it could get) and buy a MTB that has front suspension for her? Any advice is welcome

Attachments

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Not a good trade, that is a very old bike and certainly not worth as much as that path bike. Ideally, you keep the commuter bike and buy a mountain bike outright. A mountain bike will not make a great commuter, so if she's using the thing keep it.

You can do better than that bike, check the classifieds here on MTBR as well.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,932 Posts
zebrahum said:
Not a good trade, that is a very old bike and certainly not worth as much as that path bike. Ideally, you keep the commuter bike and buy a mountain bike outright. A mountain bike will not make a great commuter, so if she's using the thing keep it.

You can do better than that bike, check the classifieds here on MTBR as well.
I agree, not a good trade.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
zebrahum said:
Ideally, you keep the commuter bike and buy a mountain bike outright.
That Schwinn looks like a practical town bike. Keep it if you have any use for a bike like that. You'll never make much money out of it.

My NEW bike is a rigid singlespeed but I think a bike with front suspension would be more forgiving for a beginner.

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
I ride a fully rigid. Fully rigid helps you build technique and makes you pay more attention to body position. Its also significantly cheaper than a decent suspension fork. IMHO the cheap suspension forks are overpriced pogosticks anyways.

Throw on a 2.3 front tire and ergon grips and the bumps are not so bad. Rigid fork makes the bike lighter and faster on the climbs. Going down steep hills and rock gardens can be nerve wracking, but you just have to learn to lossen up and get your butt back.

Downside is you will be slower than your full sus. buddies.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
If you're trying to get her into it, a bike with a rigid fork isn't a good idea. She won't enjoy it as much, probably get beat up and won't want to go again. Even a rudimentary suspension fork will do the trick.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think a good hardtail would be perfect, some squish up front to help with the bumps, and the HT makes you ride / choose your line better than a dual suspension bike IMO. Also lighter and easier on most climbs.. Let a good friend use my 17 year old Stumpjumper M2 with an old front fork and she really enjoyed Mountain biking, she just bought her own used Trance X2 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts