Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a thread a while back about rigid forks breaking under "normal" XC use.

I was just wondering how many of you have suspension corrected forks, either Ti or steel, and who makes it...

·
Registered
569 Posts
sURly

Karate Monkey

A micro-tad on the heavy side, but oh so damp. My frame is built around a 5 inch fork, 26 inch wheels and my fat butt. The Monkey works perfectly. You just can't go wrong with the price to at least give'er a go...

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Surly/surly/Surly

All my bikes have Surly forks.

I just put a Surly Instigator on my Sofa King Ti King Pin, which is sportin' fixie. Gives me the lift I need for the WTB Dirt Drops I'm runnin'.

I'm a big ol' lad, and not afraid. I'll NOT gonna break a Surly fork!

·
pepito
640 Posts
kona p2

i've been riding a kona p2 fork (steel, $60, under two pounds) for about 3 months now, and i've had absolutely no problems with it. granted i don't do any drops more than a foot or two, but they hold up well under normal xc use. fwiw, i'm 150lbs and i usually have another 20lbs in gear on (loaded backpack). i'm sure the surly's are strong as hell, but the curved legs on the 1x1 don't suit my tastes at all. if you're looking for a long travel, suspension corrected fork, i'd look at the karate monkey. but if you're mounting it on a 26" wheeled bike, you'll have to go disc only up front. also, the km fork is a little more portly at over 2.5 pounds. if you're not a big guy, go for the kona, or if you can part with some serious cash, go with a nice viscious fork. my p2 is v-brake only, but i think kona came out with a disc ready one.

the_dude

·
Medium?
6,724 Posts
Kelly Rigid Steel

I broke the first one (v-brakes) after about a year. I upgraded to disc with a crash replacement, and it's holding up so far after about 16 months. Pretty light, and very compliant. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
218 Posts
the_dude said:
i've been riding a kona p2 fork (steel, $60, under two pounds) for about 3 months now, and i've had absolutely no problems with it. granted i don't do any drops more than a foot or two, but they hold up well under normal xc use. fwiw, i'm 150lbs and i usually have another 20lbs in gear on (loaded backpack). i'm sure the surly's are strong as hell, but the curved legs on the 1x1 don't suit my tastes at all. if you're looking for a long travel, suspension corrected fork, i'd look at the karate monkey. but if you're mounting it on a 26" wheeled bike, you'll have to go disc only up front. also, the km fork is a little more portly at over 2.5 pounds. if you're not a big guy, go for the kona, or if you can part with some serious cash, go with a nice viscious fork. my p2 is v-brake only, but i think kona came out with a disc ready one.

the_dude
I believe there are two disc ready Kona rigid forks. One is the P2 for 700cc wheels and the other is the Dirt Jumper style fork.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
these

SSteel said:
I remember a thread a while back about rigid forks breaking under "normal" XC use.

I was just wondering how many of you have suspension corrected forks, either Ti or steel, and who makes it...
I bought one of these 4 years ago. I bea the hell out of it, my buddy Alan also beat the hell out of it. It rocks! I last abused it at the last 12 hr race. Steel: http://www.webcyclery.com/search.php?substring=tange

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
I'm on a stock Voodoo Nzumbi rigid... looks very similar to that Tange. From what I can tell, it's slightly shorter than 80mm corrected. Next one will be a Kelly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
P2 for 700cc Wheels??

Eltbee said:
I believe there are two disc ready Kona rigid forks. One is the P2 for 700cc wheels and the other is the Dirt Jumper style fork.
Where can I find one of these? Thanks.

·
Birdman aka JMJ
1,081 Posts
I've got a Tange cromoly as well

ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
I bought one of these 4 years ago. I bea the hell out of it, my buddy Alan also beat the hell out of it. It rocks! I last abused it at the last 12 hr race. Steel: http://www.webcyclery.com/search.php?substring=tange
I like it a lot, but I'm pining for a straight-blade rigid (steel or ti) fork... only problem is that I need a 1" threadless steerer... and I'm cheap.

JMJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks, but I need disc.

kustomz said:
I have a new 700c P2, mounted but never used, canti no disc. Get in touch if you are interested.
Is this fork ok to use on a 29'er mtn frame? Do you know where I can buy one new?

·
Registered
218 Posts
KeithG said:
Where can I find one of these? Thanks.
I'm not sure where to find them. Here is a link to it on Kona's site http://64.78.59.47/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=KPT7DF&Category_Code=C

Also, bikeman.com advertises a Kona Project 2 700c fork in their Componenents - Fork - Cyclocross section. You might give them a call to see if it is indeed the disc only version.

I wish they made it (disc only) for 26 inch wheels but I fear that it is too flexy to support discs. That is probably the tradeoff for being a killer rigid fork and is also probably the reasoning behind the Dirt Jumper style rigid on the newer Units. Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Axle to crown length too short.

truman said:
Colonel's Cycles in Ft Worth, TX has a new Kona Project 2 disc fork for ~60 dollars. I believe the wrench that bought it said it was too small for his 29'er.

http://www.colonelsbikes.com/
I think the axle to crown length is only 390mm on the 700cc P2 and that sounds like it's way too short for a 29'er. Too bad...that would have made a great disc fork for the price.

·
dirtbag
1,507 Posts
Steel disc specific, suspension corrected fork from bikeman.com for $50. Been riding it for most of this season. I ride only cross-country, no huckin' or stunts here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You need a Teesdale!

KeithG said:
I think the axle to crown length is only 390mm on the 700cc P2 and that sounds like it's way too short for a 29'er. Too bad...that would have made a great disc fork for the price.
You know you want a Teesdale fork for that new 29er Keith. Light, sweet, any color you want, disc, V, both, paint that does not last too long (ok, one downside - - but you can feel less guilty if you need to chanc colors), less than a Vicious or a Kelly. www.tetcycles.com.

Alan at Alan's shop has a TET 29er fork on his Serrotta. Buy it direct though as Alan adds $70 to the retail price because he thinks he paid cost when he really paid what everyone else pays, but now I am ranting so I will stop . . . . . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
KeithG said:
Is this fork ok to use on a 29'er mtn frame? Do you know where I can buy one new?
It is a cyclocross fork, not a 29". Shorter and not enough clearance for big tires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts