Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a rigid fork on my 29er ss so I can use the Reba for a 29er race bike.

So is a unicrown fork better than a butted fork?

What are the advantages of having one or the other?

My other choice on the unicrown fork would be the Salsa Cromoto Grande, I can get it for a bit cheaper than the other two, would it be a better option?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Differences are relatively minimal. Some say a segmented fork is stiffer. Most of the forks I have are segmented (Switchblade, WB Rock Solid, Pace) but I have ridden unicrown forks too. I have one of those Salsa Grande 29ers on order for my Zion. Material makes a big difference too.

I'd say go with the one that fits your budget and matches your bike the most. Out of the three that you mentioned though I'd probably cast my vote for the Salsa (if you plan on only running discs, it has nicer lines without the canti mounts). Salsa is also the lightest out of those 3.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
You do realize the segmented fork you linked to is a for 26" wheels and the uni-crown is for 29" wheels?

I have the ird fork on a Soma Juice, and it is the weak link to that setup. Dropouts are spaced out too far on mine so you need to over tighten the QR, and still the contact isn't great. A good jolt whacks the wheel out of alignment. Other than that it's performance is adequet.YMMV
I have the Salsa fork in the 26" version and it is great. Very direct, without being harsh, eliminates some vibration. Well made; when I first got it I stared at the welds in dis-belief at how nice they looked. But again, that's the 26" very the Cromoto Grande is a 29", so it might handle differently.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CB2 said:
You do realize the segmented fork you linked to is a for 26" wheels and the uni-crown is for 29" wheels?

I have the ird fork on a Soma Juice, and it is the weak link to that setup. Dropouts are spaced out too far on mine so you need to over tighten the QR, and still the contact isn't great. A good jolt whacks the wheel out of alignment. Other than that it's performance is adequet.YMMV
I have the Salsa fork in the 26" version and it is great. Very direct, without being harsh, eliminates some vibration. Well made; when I first got it I stared at the welds in dis-belief at how nice they looked. But again, that's the 26" very the Cromoto Grande is a 29", so it might handle differently.
Thanks, i didnt relize I had the 26 up there, I though it was a 29er fork. Anyways, I think i'll go with the Salsa Cromoto Grande, looks nice and like someone else above me said, its the lightest out of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.