Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was once a thread about the Monkey fork not being all that harsh once you pass a certain threshold in rider weight. Likewise, I can imagine that some forks that are labeled supple might not hold up under heavier riders. I'm not that heavy...175 to 185 depending on the season, plus gear. I'm on the KM fork now and I enjoy riding rigid, but the downhills are punishing and I'm not sure I'd hold up, at least in my current condition, over a 24 hour race (4-man) on that fork.

I am entertaining all options right now...a good SS sussy fork (IMV or Reba w/ Loc), a nice rigid fork, or sticking with what I have. I want to keep my expectations realistic regarding the rigid upgrade. Is there anyone out there, in my weight class or higher, that can share some thoughts re: rigid fork upgrades and any noticeable difference in handling and upper body punishment? Just for informational purposes, I've got a Neve up front with about 35lbs in it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a Bontrager Switchblade (alloy version). I put it on my 96er Curtlo and I am very pleased with it. I weigh right at 200lbs. Bontrager forks have no weight limit. I've raced with those forks at Bonelli and Castaic this fall and found them to be great. There are times on the downhills I wish I had something moving, but it reminds me of my Yeti FRO and the rigid Answer AccuTrac forks. It's punnishing which does take some energy from you for sure. I plan on riding some races this year on them and some on a Whitebros. fork which I am waiting on. Thumbs up on the Switchblace though!:)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i am 230 and noticed a night and day difference between the old KM fork i orginially ran on my bike and my custom walt fork i got after about 6 months.

this is even a custom walt "fat guy" fork so i'd imagine his normal fork would be even more supple. lots more front to back flex (which i take as a good thing as it is smoothing my ride).

as it's been said, it is still nothing like suspension but the new fork definitely takes a lot of the "stinging" hits out that just seemed to vibrate my entire being sometimes with the KM fork.

·
Registered
236 Posts
nzumbi: were about the same weight so you can take this for what its worth. i've tried out a number of the above mentioned forks on my ss. but my favorite as far as ride quality is concerned is the wily. my walt had issues which walt took care of but who needs the stress, it also didn't ride as nicely as the wily. The wily lasted about 4 mos before i bent it, it bent back just fine, but in it's absence i put on the new on-one carbon, still not enough time on it make a true judgment call but it's a little stiffer than the wily, a bit lighter, and slightly quicker.

hope this helps

e

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'm your weight, and ride a Vicious Cycles fork (and frame). I think that it rides really well. I can't compare it to other rigid 29er forks, but I've ridden lots of rigid 26ers forks, and this is as good or better than any of them.

That said, if I were racing a 24 event, I'd want a front suspension fork on the bike. (assuming it's not a very nontechnical course) When you're tired, it's dark, and you're trying to pass somone, mistakes will be made. It's a lot easier to recover from these mistakes with a front shock.

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
big & single said:
Carbon fork would make a big difference - so would letting 10psi out of your front tyre.
25psi + east coast rocks + 180lbs rider = 3 pinches per ride, most likely. Even at 35psi, I still feel the occasional rock bottom out the tire and thank my lucky stars that it didn't pinch. Carbon scares me. Anything can snap, I know that, but I couldn't rest comfortably with a carbon fork at this point in the game.

laffeaux said:
if I were racing a 24 event, I'd want a front suspension fork
The only driver I have right now is the damn rigid requirement on the SS class at granny gear events (namely, big bear). We won Sport last year, so it's either race SS sussie in Expert, or race rigid in SS.

·
Brakes?
152 Posts
Put some fiber in your diet...Carbon Fiber that is...

I'm 180 w/o gear.

I switched from the KM fork to the Bontrager Carbon. Huge difference. Bike is almost 2lbs lighter, rides like a dream.

I tend to be an aggressive rider here in the rocky Ozarks. So I too was concerned about longevity. I stayed away from the Pace for that reason.

I've only been on the fork for about 6 months.

I'd highly recommend it though. Everyone that rides my bike immediately wants one.:thumbsup:

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
pimp-daddy said:
I tend to be an aggressive rider here in the rocky Ozarks. So I too was concerned about longevity. I stayed away from the Pace for that reason.
whats the issues with Pace? Out of all the Carbon forks they have been around quite a while and I've never heard anything bad about them - except the price tag...? Just curious...

FF

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i'm 175 (in full gear), my on-one inbred fork is pretty "supple" for a rigid (much, much less harsh then my zion fork), but hey it's still rigid, especially when the bike gets air....

i got a Reba for race days and long rides.

·
old man riding!
189 Posts
Kevin I've seen you ride and you seem to ride with great finese when on the rigid fork. I had a pretty good view from behind. I would get the reba and use it when the course dictates or you feel you need a break from the rigid. You can always go back to rigid when you feel like it. Thats just my 2cents.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
So far nobody has really answered your question... so I won't really either. :nono:

I don't have a lot of rigid forks that I have used. It sounds like you need to hear from people who have tried many rigid forks. I used a Kona P2 on my 26er, and I thought it was pretty good. On my 29er I have a Walt fork that seems fine. I'm always lusting after the "most compliant" rigid fork (even though that's an oximoron right?). I'm lusting after a Ti Black Sheep or a steel WOW Willits fork right now as my next rigid fork "upgrade". I have an On-One carbon fork in my garage. I had been riding the Reba, but I just wasn't happy, so I put the Walt back on. After a few more rides I'll try the carbon fork. Maybe then I can give you some useful advice? ;)

You should also post your findings if you generate any.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I've ridden a few of 'em.

I have alot of time on the following rigid forks: Bontrager Switchblade Race X Lite, On One Carbon Superlight, One One steel, and a Karate Monkey fork.

First and foremost, these are still rigid forks. You can have the most "supple" rigid fork and you are still going to get bit by the impacts sooner or later. I like to think of the "nicer" riding forks as ones that take the sharpness out of the bumps. You still get jolted, just not with such a sharp hit. That said, plenty of other factors can be used to take the edge off on a rigid bike.

Handlebars, stems, and grips can all combine with your fork and tire to get you a smoother riding rigid bike. Heck, even the right frame can make a big difference here.

There are a few points that stuck out to me with these forks I have ridden. Braking performance with disc brakes varies enough that you notice it from fork to fork. I used the same type discs for all these forks- Avid BB-7's- and the On One Carbon performed best in the braking department. Secondly, the On One steel fork is a pretty nice riding fork, albeit a heavy one. Lastly, the fork offset issue should not be ignored. It definitely was a noticeable thing to me.

If I had your parameters and a bike that suited the On One Carbon Superlight, that's the fork I'd choose. Carbon too scary? Then On One's steel fork is a pretty nice one.

If I were to race an endurance event on a hamster course I'd ride a Reba. It's got lockout, is easy to set up, and durable.

Obviously I haven't ridden a small builders fork, but that's about to change, as I have two different custom steel forks coming in soon for testing.

FWIW I weigh in at about 240lbs, am 6'1", and prefer single speeds.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
nzumbi said:
There was once a thread about the Monkey fork not being all that harsh once you pass a certain threshold in rider weight. Likewise, I can imagine that some forks that are labeled supple might not hold up under heavier riders. I'm not that heavy...175 to 185 depending on the season, plus gear. I'm on the KM fork now and I enjoy riding rigid, but the downhills are punishing and I'm not sure I'd hold up, at least in my current condition, over a 24 hour race (4-man) on that fork.

I am entertaining all options right now...a good SS sussy fork (IMV or Reba w/ Loc), a nice rigid fork, or sticking with what I have. I want to keep my expectations realistic regarding the rigid upgrade. Is there anyone out there, in my weight class or higher, that can share some thoughts re: rigid fork upgrades and any noticeable difference in handling and upper body punishment? Just for informational purposes, I've got a Neve up front with about 35lbs in it.
I was one of the people that posted in that old thread you're talking about. I also ride a KM fork and at my weight of about 195, I wouldn't want a fork any more flexible. It flexes a good inch to the rear under hard braking. Its the only 29er fork I've ridden, but I've used alot of rigid 26" forks over the years and the KM fork is as "supple" as any of them, even though its beefier. I think the extra length makes up for the beefiness.

I'm with you on not trusting carbon, especially on a fork. I might use a brand new one, but after one crash, I would never trust it again.

The same goes with aluminum. Rigid forks are designed to flex and aluminum and flexing do not go together, which is why aluminum frames are designed to be stiff. If aluminum is allowed to flex, its only a matter of time before it fails.

If I were you, I'd replace that tire with a Weirwolf and lower the pressure a bit. Also that new WOW fork looks like it might be the hot ticket.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Lastly, the fork offset issue should not be ignored. It definitely was a noticeable thing to me.
G-Ted, please elaborate on what you mean by "noticable". Good, Bad, or what?

Guitar Ted said:
Obviously I haven't ridden a small builders fork, but that's about to change, as I have two different custom steel forks coming in soon for testing.
Can you tell use which fork from whom??? :D

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
G-Ted, please elaborate on what you mean by "noticable". Good, Bad, or what?
The fork offset varied on the four forks mentioned from 38mm to 47mm. It was noticeable in the steering/handling department when I changed out from one to another. Of course the bikes head angle is part of this equation, so your results may vary, but for a 72 degree head angle, the lower the offset figure, the "slower" the handling and vice versa. Tune your bike to your trail needs and you'll be happy. Ignore this and you might regret it. Just something to be aware of.

Can you tell use which fork from whom??? :D
One should be in very soon and I suspect will be a fork alot of you will be interested in, judging from the posts here recently. The other has been around awhile and is actually going to be part of a complete frame set. More to come.................

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm 6'2" 180 lbs I used to ride a KM with the stock rigid fork. One of the guys at the bike store talked me into trying a Pace fork. I'm a huge fan of Surly, but I have to admit the bike rides much better. The bike is easier to wheelie and I can bunny hop higher because of the extra spring in the fork. This is not the mention the how the extra weight I save helps. I like to brake really hard (riding on just the front wheel) and I do have to say it is a little scary looking at the fork when I do that. Also the fork kinda puts a little lash into the braking. You grab the front brake the fork moves aft then you start to brake. But over all, at my weight I don't think I would go for anything heavier then the Pace.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.