Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I like the compliant qualities of my rigid fork, but I sometimes get the sense that my KM fork/XT QR skewer/Hope hub/adapted XT caliper set up is on the loosy-goosy, flexy side. For example, if I slap my grip hard enough, I hear the rotor "ting" against the brake pads. Also, when I hold the front brakes on (XT with 180mm rotor) and rock the bike forward, everything seems to flex up front.

Somewhere I got it in my head that 20mm thru axle hubs and post-type brake mounts make for better front wheel rigidity/stability. I certainly need to ride it more as is, but does anyone make a rigid steel fork for 29ers that has either or both of these design elements -- 20mm axle or post caliper mount?

Is there not a market for this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Walt @ Waltworks will make you whatever you want. Ive got about a week to go before i get my 20mm axled rigid fork from him. No post mounts, but had i thought of it a the time, maybe.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
jncarpenter said:
Fred Cuthbert of Wolfhound Cycles

See the link in my sig for more of his handiwork :)
Such a cool guy... I've got one of his first 26 inch bikes. (There's a pic of in in the "about" page on his site.) Built in 2002 and still goin strong. I just raced it in the Ashland 12 mile super D. Can't say I posted a good result, but the bike was as good as it could be. He was telling me about trying a FS frame someday... Probably a 29er.

He is growing ever meticulous in his designs. I hope to have a bike like the one in the pics someday... I just need the coin! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.