Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...My friends have all gone rigid on their 29ers and I plan to follow suite. I when rigid before and came back because a certain trail beat the hell out of me. I don't remember if it was a 26 or 29 bike I had the fork on I just remember it was a older carbon wrapped bontrager switchblade fork. My friend say that was the reason Iit beat the hell out of me and they also pointed out that all most of the (new) trains we ride are not even close to as rooty/rocky as the trail that killed me.'


Anyway I want to give it a try but want to make the right choice on rigid forks. The bike I will be putting it on is a Lynskey Pro 29er (helix) that also has I9 laced to DTswiss TK540 rims (both stifffffff) I have ordered a niner carbon fork with has been back ordered for 6 months (are you kidding me) Well any way I found a deal on DT Swiss XRR 470 but have seen a few ti forks were intreging

Does anyone have any recommendations of a rigid fork. I wanted it petty light but want it to last (I am 200 lbs)> I also want it to be somewhat forgiving just incase I haed out to that old trail. I have seen Guitar Ted's reviews but all the forks sound good. A carbon steerer scares me but I have had Ti break

Thanks in advance
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
if you want a nicely cheap rigid fork that is compliant try out the salsa cromoto. Eventually they will have a thru axle version but the standard cromoto is a great option.

Seems to be much more complaint that carbon forks.

FWIW i've been riding one @ ~200lbs for many years now in Arizona rocky rocky trails.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
Thehemiman said:
It seems like a rigid fork would be quite...rigid. I like my forks to go up and down.
29ers were built for rigid forks. If you haven't tried it I recommend giving it try once. It is quite a unique experience and will make your old tried and true trail and new experience all over. Like all things some prefer their experiences in moderation but in the case of rigid forks I am quite too addicted to the experience to give up on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
I am 8 rides into my first rigid experience (on a Niner A9C), with 20psi 2.4 tires and Ergon grips to smooth things out.

It is blissful 95% of the time, but the other 5% is painful for me, especially on long rides (mainly downward drops or rocky downhills). I am also slower on it when it gets rough. I will get 12-15 rides in before deciding if I will put a front suspension. I really hope not, as the climbing, acceleration and cornering is great on the rigid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I would take a look at some Salsa forks for something that's as compliant as a rigid steel fork can be.

A Vicious Cycles fork may also be a good choice.
I had a Vicious fork on my 26" bike but it was a little too "compliant" for my big a$z. (235lbs)

I bought a Surly fork for my new 29er as it is much more beefy and I haven't looked back.

I have never ridden a carbon fork so I can't really help you there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
another option is the Soul Cycles Dillinger fork. Comes with post mounts and is suspension corrected for 100mm.

Running the biggest possible front tire at lower psi will help too.
 

·
Got a suspension fork
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
rockcrusher said:
29ers were built for rigid forks. If you haven't tried it I recommend giving it try once. It is quite a unique experience and will make your old tried and true trail and new experience all over. Like all things some prefer their experiences in moderation but in the case of rigid forks I am quite too addicted to the experience to give up on it.
+1

Sold my FS after trying and converting to 29er rigid ss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone have a niner carbon fork they are using who weigh ~ 210 lbs? How is it working? How long / miles have you had it. I have looked at the Vicious and can get one for ~ 120
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
A9C rigid ordered

I dont have it yet but I will next week. Will let you know how it is. This will be my first carbon 29 and first rigid. Right now I am 225 lb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Ramzious said:
Quiring makes a nice cromo rigid fork. Reasonably priced and handmade.
Yes Scott makes a great fork I have one that is a 20mm thro axle and I want to order another, but I'm not sure if I want a custom fat fork or just to go with a regular unicrown.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
+1 for the Vicious

I have been thrashin it around for a little bit in the Rockies on my salsa. Feels great under my 220# ass.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top