Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'3" 215 lbs, I have a Karate Monkey, set up rigid and one gear. I like to ride sort of aggressively. I really only miss the front suspension on night rides, but all other times I really love the rigid fork.
I have been reading about how bad the Surly fork is, "heavy, non-compliant,..."
So I am wondering if fellow heavy, rigid forked, SSers can shed some light on if I truely am missing out on a better fork out there.
Oh, no carbon please, I crash into too many rocks.

Thanks,
Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
I think reports out there indicate that the Zion fork is a little bit more compliant than the KM - at a great price too.

Perhaps some Zion fork owners can chime in on this one.
 

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
Joined
·
8,821 Posts
AOF said:
I am 6'3" 215 lbs, I have a Karate Monkey, set up rigid and one gear. I like to ride sort of aggressively. I really only miss the front suspension on night rides, but all other times I really love the rigid fork.
I have been reading about how bad the Surly fork is, "heavy, non-compliant,..."
At our weight the KM fork is quite compliant.

It's still about a full pound lighter than a Reba.

Quit listening to the 5'7/160lb club about "compliance."

Get your Monkey and ride!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,844 Posts
A white brothers rock solid fork will have a recommended limit of 225lbs or there abouts, at least that was their plans when I spoke to them about them a month or so ago.

I've been using my Dekerf Tuning Fork and it's been great, I'm 240lbs btw.

 

·
Front Range Cyclist
Joined
·
944 Posts
On One Steel

I really like my On One Steel 29er fork. Came with my Inbred 29er but it's a damn nice fork. Don't think the Surly was all that bad the times I road one (handful), but really dig my fork. Slap a 2.35 Rampage up front and you got all the cush you need.

FYI I weigh 230-235 depending on how much free beer is sent my way in a month. :)
I also agree with Padre about not listening to the non-clydes ***** about fork compliance. We Clydes need to stick together.
 

·
highly visible
Joined
·
3,272 Posts
Padre said:
At our weight the KM fork is quite compliant. Quit listening to the 5'7/160lb club about "compliance."
I was gonna say the same thing, and I'm in the 5'7/160 club. To me the KM fork is simply brutal (my previous two rigid 26"ers rode better), but bigger guys don't report the same problem.

If you're still worried about it you can go with the Zion, Salsa, On-One or Niner steel forks. All are under $150, will be more compliant than the KM to some degree, and (I believe) are still rated for your weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
AOF said:
I am 6'3" 215 lbs, I have a Karate Monkey, set up rigid and one gear. I like to ride sort of aggressively. I really only miss the front suspension on night rides, but all other times I really love the rigid fork.
I have been reading about how bad the Surly fork is, "heavy, non-compliant,..."
So I am wondering if fellow heavy, rigid forked, SSers can shed some light on if I truely am missing out on a better fork out there.
Oh, no carbon please, I crash into too many rocks.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,

I think that you may want to stick to the KM fork based on your weight, riding style & home trails being what they are. I bought a salsa fork and periodically toss it on either the geared bike or the SS for a change of pace or for a specific ride. I find it a bit flexy (not the good kind) especially under heavy braking down steep stuff. FWIW I'm 20 lbs lighter than you. If you want to borrow the salsa to give it a try let me know.

AA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Padre said:
At our weight the KM fork is quite compliant.

It's still about a full pound lighter than a Reba.

Quit listening to the 5'7/160lb club about "compliance."

Get your Monkey and ride!
I agree 100%. Even at my non-clyde weight of 195, I find the KM fork to be plenty compliant. It also flexes about an inch to the rear under hard braking. I definately would not want a more flexible fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
what about bars then?

I also have a KM fork on my SS. (6'2", 175lbs), but I find it to be pretty brutal on the rockiest trails. Other than that, I like the KM.

I often wonder how much a nice Ti bar might help? Say a Moots? It'd be a cheaper alternative to a pricey ti fork... even some nicer steel rigids are a bit high $$$, IMO.

Anyone using that setup... Ti bars/KM fork. If so, how's it feel?
 

·
rider
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
A while back someone posted pics of his custom rigid T/A fork. Looked sweet and makes a lot of sense for a big guy. Tight steering the way you want it and compliant in the vertical plane, the best of both worlds. The only thing I would have done different would be to have had the fork built for a RS M-axle for quick no tool wheel removal.

Once you have ridden much with a thru axle setup it's hard to go back to QR. Sure it's a little bit much, but they don't call me the overkiller for nothin'.

29erchico
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,844 Posts
29erchico said:
A while back someone posted pics of his custom rigid T/A fork. Looked sweet and makes a lot of sense for a big guy. Tight steering the way you want it and compliant in the vertical plane, the best of both worlds. The only thing I would have done different would be to have had the fork built for a RS M-axle for quick no tool wheel removal.

Once you have ridden much with a thru axle setup it's hard to go back to QR. Sure it's a little bit much, but they don't call me the overkiller for nothin'.

29erchico
If memory serves me right I think it was a Walt Works fork...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for removing all doubt that I should just stick with my KM fork.
I thought I was going crazy, but obviously others have felt their fork "move" as well.

A_A-Thanks for the offer, might have to try to hook up at the Wicked Ride of the East, if you are going.

-Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
my walt fork "moves" much better than my old KM fork.

same bike same everything else; compliance and general ability to ride hard without getting the utter crap beat out of you went way up when i switched to the walt fork! that little extra give really seems to make a great difference for me.

i'm 230 btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
max-a-mill said:
my walt fork "moves" much better than my old KM fork.

same bike same everything else; compliance and general ability to ride hard without getting the utter crap beat out of you went way up when i switched to the walt fork! that little extra give really seems to make a great difference for me.

i'm 230 btw.
So is this a "custom" Walt fork, based on your weight and riding style, etc.?
Pix?

-Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,811 Posts
Here is a link to the photo section of Walt's site. You can see the forks in various stages of construction. I have an order in with him right now....frame and fork. In fact, half the hits on his site are probably from me checking the status of his waitlist. I am constantly hoping that a few of the dozen people ahead of me on the list change their minds and buy a Redline or something :)
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,607 Posts
Padre said:
At our weight the KM fork is quite compliant.

It's still about a full pound lighter than a Reba.

Quit listening to the 5'7/160lb club about "compliance."

Get your Monkey and ride!
I'll echo (HELLO...........eL...oh....eL...oh....eL..oh.....eL...oh.....eL....oh....!) Padre's comments. I've been riding my KM fork in the 185 - 212 pound area for 3 years now. Plenty compliant and what a gas to have this fork coming out of tight corners where you can just hammer away with no flex or bob issues.

Not to mention the bigger picture - the KM fork color matches your KM frame. You wouldn't want to mess that color matching up out on a trail date now, would you?:nono:

BB

P.S. You want flex? Get some wimpy wheels that flex laterally, horizontally and every which way but loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
another 220lber here happy with a KM fork, also very happy with my Vicious Cyles rigid fork, and extremely happy with the OnOne fork

I also use a Reba and am happy with that also
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top