Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built up a Monocog frameset last summer. I absolutely love the handling of my rigid SS. However, is there a lighter fork out there with just a bit more flex than the fork Redline stocks? I do ride hard and ride some pretty technical stuff, but I'm a fairly small rider (140ish), so too much flex is seldom an issue with most bike components. I built up my frameset with really good components, but the fork is the one area I can see a need to upgrade. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
pindowngirl25 said:
Blacksheep ti super strong ,light and rides great, smoooth out the bumps. You really don't hear anything going wrong with these forks.
I am interested in changing forks on my monocog too. I currently have kona project 2s on it, which was how I bought it. First fully rigid bike for me. Are the ti more foregiving than
steel? Where is a good place to purchase? Are they super pricy?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes the ti forks are very forgiving, soaks up the chatter like nothing else, i also have a indy fab steel fork a little more rigid but way more heavy surprising almost 3lbs (probably a little more dependable in the long run) do a search blacksheep ti james dose great work seems other people on this forum like them also, Price for the ti $450.00 independent fabrications steeel fork about $325.00 and it's almost 2 lbs heavier. Yes they are pricey but a good fork is worth every penny you just have to find the right one for you.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Origin8 Black Ops

I posted a mini-review on the Origin8 Black Ops carbon fork on the Monocog not too long ago:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=262938&highlight=black+ops+monocog

...I have since fallen in love with this fork on the Monocog, and the price is great. These are the same as the White Brothers fork, just re-branded.

Definitely do a search on MTBR because there are other options that have been discussed recently, such as the Switchblade.

-pete

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carbon or Ti?

I assume that the carbon will be stiffer but dampen chatter equally well. And titanium will be a bit more flexy but more durable. Gee, tough decision. I just took a look at that Black Ops carbon fork, but the info all mentions being for a 29'er. I don't want to go to a 29 inch wheel and I run v-brakes, so what other options do I have in the $200-$300 range? I can't seem to find a ti fork for under $400.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Winwood

Anyone have experience with the Winwood Purist? My concern with any carbon component is its ability to survive various impacts. I ride in pretty rocky terrain (Colorado Front Range). As such, I have some major scrapes and goudges on all of my forks. I know that carbon is stronger by weight, but isn't it relatively poor in regards to impact resistance?

Price is good, but only if it can stand the test of time:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&Affiliate=1&PageID=30&SKU=FK1213

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
pindowngirl25 said:
i also have a indy fab steel fork a little more rigid but way more heavy surprising almost 3lbs.
You must have got the batch that IF made with lead paint.... cut (with a resonable amount of steerer) the IF forks are about 1000g. That is under 2 1/4 lbs.

I have one too, and I will never give it up, no matter now heavy it is on MTBR.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You will be happy you did, as soon as you get your ti fork from james and look at it, you will forget all about the $$$$. Pair that fork up with titanium handlebars and seat post and you will be amazed at the ride.

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
29r on a 26r

I put a WB rock solid 29r on my custom ti 26r to replace my suspension fork during the winter. I'm very happy.:) I'm not to sure that I'll be putting the suspension fork back on when the rains go.

caz

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
anything

jumpin_joe2u said:
I built up a Monocog frameset last summer. I absolutely love the handling of my rigid SS. However, is there a lighter fork out there with just a bit more flex than the fork Redline stocks? I do ride hard and ride some pretty technical stuff, but I'm a fairly small rider (140ish), so too much flex is seldom an issue with most bike components. I built up my frameset with really good components, but the fork is the one area I can see a need to upgrade. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I say go with just about anything. I weighed my original red monocog fork, no disc mounts and it was 2lbs 14.5 onces, so almost 3 pounds, you would lose 1/2 # by going to a surly 1x1 fork. I have kona project 2 forks on two of my bikes, fairly light and nice and low, if you like that I think there even lighter then the 1x1 fork 2.25# or less possibly but haven't weighed one, they will make your handling a little faster cause of the shorter axle to crown height, I like it though, kona rigid forks look good and can be found cheap also $60 new or less if you find one that was a takeoff. The ride is still pretty rigid, but a 2.5 dh casing nbx or 3.0 gozzzi at 15-20psi will give a good cushey ride. I have fit a friends front wheel with a 3.0 gozzi on in the kona fork I was a little surprised.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I decided to test the waters and ordered a carbon Winwood Purist. I will post again when I have a chance to ride it. Fatherhood has really put a damper on my bike habit! :)

G

·
So let us know how that winwood fork worked out . I've been looking at that but cannot find any reviews on it .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hate Equipment Downtime

Wish I could have posted a follow up review on the Winwood Purist Carbon fork by now, BUT..... Bearings shot craps on my Race Face Evolve XC External BB. Fortunately/unfortunately still under warranty, so a free fix but 3 weeks and counting waiting for replacement. Grrrrrr!!! Funny that I NEVER had problems with the bearings in my ISIS BB's, but then again I rode those with multiple gears hence less torque. Nevertheless, this isn't the drivetrain forum, so I'll save the rant. But seriously THREE WEEKS + !?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.