Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a Motobecane Fantom29 frame.The original bike is sold with a Dart3 29 (502mm axle to crown).I have 2 rigid forks- one Soul Cycles (485mm a to c) and one Zion 26er that can fit a 29er wheel (457 A to c). I want to use the Zion because it color matches the frame. The bike will be used on mild trails with WTB Exi wolf or Schwalbe big apple tires, 175mm cranks and platform pedals and no Cane Creek S3 plus5 headset. Can I get away with using the shorter fork? Or will it steepen the head tube angle too much?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Natalie Portman said:
I'm not sure the Dart accounts for sag, but if you do choose to use the Zion consider stacking a +5mm Headset and +7mm Crown Race to get some of the difference back.

Oh yeah, check this THREAD out.
Thanks for all the help. I'll probably just use the Soul Cycles and be happy. Maybe i can find out about some matte charcoal black paint and paint the fork to match the frame.Any one have any suggestions? (the fork is gloss black)

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
zarr said:
Thanks for all the help. I'll probably just use the Soul Cycles and be happy. Maybe i can find out about some matte charcoal black paint and paint the fork to match the frame.Any one have any suggestions? (the fork is gloss black)
Zarr,

Clean the fork really well with alcohol and spray with a matte clearcoat like, Krylon. that should do the trick. About $7 a can.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
Natalie Portman said:
consider stacking a +5mm Headset and +7mm Crown Race to get some of the difference back.
considering the sag on the dart and using the +5 headset and +7 race the zion would only be about 20mm less a-c which would affect the hta by less than 1 degree; resulting in slightly quicker steering.

i went from a 490 a-c niner fork to a 465 a-c carbon switchblade and love how the bike handles. ymmv.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Noobi-Wan Kenobi said:
zarr,

Didn't know that. Alright, looks like you're set then.
Yeah, the Zion was a sweet deal huh? Too bad Jenson discontinued them. Some folks missed out on them. I wanted the matte black geared version, but settled for the white with a matching fork. :thumbsup: Glad I did, because shortly after they were all gone. Not finished with the build yet though. Then i got a Motobecane Fantom29 at bikeisland.com (frame-$119) Seems like a pretty solid built aluminum frame, especially for the money. The problem is it's just a tad too tall, so I wanted to put the Zion 26er fork on with a regular Cane Creek S3 headset and ride it on primarily smooth trails, like towpaths etc. but if the steering is too fast and the hed angle is too steep, it just can't be done. The Zion 26er fork is about an inch shorter than the Zion 29er fork. what do you think? I was thinking the type of terrain might let me get away with it. I'm thinking about getting another Moto frame one size smaller and putting a Manitou Drake 29er fork on it.(The Drake is not yet-put manitou drake in your computer search or read my thread about the fork for info) Also considering A 29er frame from soulcycles.com (ridesoul.com). That too may be a good deal.One steel 29er + one rigid aluminum 29er + one hardtail aluminum 29er = almost there. Now all I need is a 29er full suspension. (Confessions of a bike eccentric in the eyes of some. In my eyes...just covering all the bases.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a soul fork on my zion and it was so flexy when braking, I though it was going to taco. It made me very nervous on technical descents. After that ride I put the karate monkey fork back on. I don't know how the K.M. and zion would compare, but the flex on that soul really bothered me. Noobi has the right idea. Put the zion fork on it.

·
mtbr member
491 Posts
zarr,

Keep us informed on whatever you try or end up with on the Moto. Interesting stuff.

Yeah, sweet deal on the Zion and I really like how mine turned out. By the way, there's another new, large 737 frame on Ebay right now if anyone is interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.