Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here - hi everyone.
I know some of you will scratch your head and ask why, but is it possible to replace the Fatty Headshok with a rigid fork on my F500?
I've had this bike since 2000 and I love it BUT I've been thinking of going minimalist lately. I've even been toying with converting it into a single speed and putting slicks on it. My plan is to get a new mtb and use my F500 as a street bike/commuter.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Welcome!

The easiest option is to change the SI headset to a reducer headset and use a 1.125" rigid fork.

I'm not asking why, I converted my F1000 to an urban single speed weapon myself. :thumbsup: Slicks, platform pedals, tall gearing... I also wanted to eliminate the suspension but by locking it from the inside to keep the nice looking, integrated aspect only a Headshok provides (matching paint and all). I didn't get much feedback about that and since, with minimal maintenance, rain, snow and ice, my Headshok locked itself permanently it seems.

Here is mine but that picture is not up to date...

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I have a 15T Surly cog but I don't even remember what size is my chainring, 44T? 46T? 48T? Not sure, I can check tonight. I have a Rennen tensioner (not pictured above) but I need to find a couple of spacers to fit between the tensioner and the derailleur hanger. The hanger is recessed (derailleur location relative to the skewer location) so the tensioner is slightly mis-aligned...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.