Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I want to change to "Big Wheels", and my LBS have a really good price the Kona Kula 2-9, 2007 frame, scandium and nice color. I want put a rigid steel fork whit this frame, because i not make hard trails, only easy dirt tracks and country roads.

The bycicle maybe looks like the picture under this post.

My questions are:
a) This is a good frame? (i don`t have much confidence of the rear part, the strength of the bolts)
b) Join rigid fork whit Scandium frame, is a good idea?:confused:

Greetings and thanks!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Nothing weird about a steel fork on a scandium frame. "Scandium" frames are aluminum with a small amount of scandium added to the alloy

Sliding dropouts like that are very common for singlespeed bikes. Strength really shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes those designs can have slipping problems, but there is usually a fix for it.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
The sliding dropouts at the rear normally work as good as anything else, no drama there and Kona make sturdy bikes.

Steel fork is a good idea you will love it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments, maybe the next week i go to my LBS too buy the Kona frame and fork.

Greetings.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've got one with a carbon fork. Stiff, SS; like it but it does beat me up. Really, I don't think frame material has a big impact. Tires and suspension does.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's My bike!!!

Hey there - I have one of those. I originally bought it as an "extra bike" in the quiver of 5-6 bikes, now it is one of, if not my favorite bikes. It gets used more than any one other bike I have.

I have ridden it in several different configurations: front suspension, rigid fork, singlespeed, drivetrain, 1x9, etc, etc, etc.

I currently have it built up with a Salsa Cromoto Grande rigid steel fork, and a nice singlespeed build (stans Arch rims laced to WTB singleduty hub, Hope front, FSA V-drive SS cranks, shimano hydro brakes, thomson post and stem, carbon bar)

I have to say the setup I am running now is PERFECT. I enjoy this frame a lot more with a rigid fork than I did with a Reba up front.

I am a BIG guy - 275 lbs. I ride a lot of stuff that some would say is "too light" for a guy my size, but I have ridden a long time, and I am a pretty smooth rider - not hacking through rock gardens and stuff. Having said that, I am not going to baby a bike, no matter what it is - I was out on Sunday on the Kula, hitting dirt jumps and 2-3 foot rock drops.

So I have beat the Kula up with a rider and application it really is not intended for - it has taken all that fine. I have also ridden it on short rides, long rides, smooth trails, nasty stuff bordering on freeride bike terrain, rides along the beach with my wife. Flat pedals and flip flops, or full race day kit. It is an awesome and versatile bike.

The frame is beautiful - some of the nicest paint I have on any of my bikes. Really "pretty," but still cool enough for a macho man to ride it.

My only criticism is that it is probably overbuilt - if it can handle everything I'm doing with it, I wonder how much lighter it could be for a "normal" rider taking it easy on the bike. Look at the Salsa Selma or the Niner One9 - those frames are a pound or more lighter than the Kona, for the same purpose. Still, the Kona rides awesome, and handles everything. Again, I much prefer the rigid steel fork to anything else I've tried, and I can't speak highly enough for the Salsa Cromoto Grande - it is reasonably priced, but light and the feel is incredible.

Those sliding dropouts work perfectly as intended - they never slip, never creak, they are plenty stiff. The only bummer is they add a touch of weight. I suppose I could also say that I would prefer if the frame did not have the bosses for V-brakes and did not have the cable guides for derailers.

Feel free to ask more questions here or PM me if you want more insight.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As far as the idea of a fully rigid bike "beating you up", I recommend running tubeless and high volume tires. For me, my favorite tire on this bike is the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 - even my big butt can run sub-30 psi, which gives me a lot of cush. If you're building wheels, Stans rims are the answer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The family bike!

bridog said:
Hey there - I have one of those. I originally bought it as an "extra bike" in the quiver of 5-6 bikes, now it is one of, if not my favorite bikes. It gets used more than any one other bike I have.

I have ridden it in several different configurations: front suspension, rigid fork, singlespeed, drivetrain, 1x9, etc, etc, etc.

I currently have it built up with a Salsa Cromoto Grande rigid steel fork, and a nice singlespeed build (stans Arch rims laced to WTB singleduty hub, Hope front, FSA V-drive SS cranks, shimano hydro brakes, thomson post and stem, carbon bar)

I have to say the setup I am running now is PERFECT. I enjoy this frame a lot more with a rigid fork than I did with a Reba up front.

I am a BIG guy - 275 lbs. I ride a lot of stuff that some would say is "too light" for a guy my size, but I have ridden a long time, and I am a pretty smooth rider - not hacking through rock gardens and stuff. Having said that, I am not going to baby a bike, no matter what it is - I was out on Sunday on the Kula, hitting dirt jumps and 2-3 foot rock drops.

So I have beat the Kula up with a rider and application it really is not intended for - it has taken all that fine. I have also ridden it on short rides, long rides, smooth trails, nasty stuff bordering on freeride bike terrain, rides along the beach with my wife. Flat pedals and flip flops, or full race day kit. It is an awesome and versatile bike.

The frame is beautiful - some of the nicest paint I have on any of my bikes. Really "pretty," but still cool enough for a macho man to ride it.

My only criticism is that it is probably overbuilt - if it can handle everything I'm doing with it, I wonder how much lighter it could be for a "normal" rider taking it easy on the bike. Look at the Salsa Selma or the Niner One9 - those frames are a pound or more lighter than the Kona, for the same purpose. Still, the Kona rides awesome, and handles everything. Again, I much prefer the rigid steel fork to anything else I've tried, and I can't speak highly enough for the Salsa Cromoto Grande - it is reasonably priced, but light and the feel is incredible.

Those sliding dropouts work perfectly as intended - they never slip, never creak, they are plenty stiff. The only bummer is they add a touch of weight. I suppose I could also say that I would prefer if the frame did not have the bosses for V-brakes and did not have the cable guides for derailers.

Feel free to ask more questions here or PM me if you want more insight.
Thanks Bridog for your excelent report.
I must to confess, i don`t have very much confidence in the sliding dropouts, but see others bicycles brand, I`m finally forgot this prejudgement and only think in enjoy the Kona Kula 2-9.
I m also a "big guy", 6.0" and 209.4 Lbs hehehe, i buy a 19" frame size...is good for my? my previous bike (Giant Rincon) was also 19" size.
Thanks again.:thumbsup:
Greetings.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You should be fine since the sliding dropouts have "adjuster bolts" at the rear. My SS hasn't been a problem and it doesn't have them.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Did you get it built up? An update would be great.

I just built an '07 up as a single speed with a Reba 80mm as my sole off-road ride - great bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts