Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up.This is about rigid bikes with gears not SS so I hope its ok to post this here. Anyway I've been Mountain biking for almost 19 years and up in till 2000 I rode rigid(Klein's Attiude from 91 to 96 Adroit from 96 to 2000) I sent the Adroit back to Klein in 2000 to have it re sprayed(1993 Gator liner fade)and brand new everything else.And while the Adroit was at Klein I rode a demo Klein Mantra(swore I'd never ride fully's)and fell and love with it. It was off and running from there almost 18 bikes later(big bikes trail bikes park bikes ect,ect.)I pretty much turned my Adroit into a road bike with road tires.Always thought about bringing it back into the woods but was scared to kill or ruin it.We''l I finally did it,I through some 2.1 Maxxis and hit the woods rigid yesterday and today,WOW I can't belive how much fun I had. That's my story,my question is not that I'm clearlly hooked (and still don't want to kill the almost mint 21 pound 96 Adroit)What and were do I look for a 07 or modern rigid bike.I just built a $6000 Nicolai CC two months ago and next week will be building(if it gets shipped as planned)a $6000 Nicolai FR.So was thinking of grabing a frame from Nicolai and building it up.But were to get rigid forks,or is there and rigid bike sites or sh!t like that?Again I plan to run gears so not to offend any true hard core SS'ers.I hope this forum can point me in the right place.Peace CF..www.Dieselbikes.com

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Easy.

Buy any hard tail you want, and put a Surly fork on it. Either an Instigator fork, or a 1x1 fork will work with many geometries.

If you want to go 29er (many seem to), a very economical way to start is a Surly Karate Monkey. There must be 40 or so other simple choices for 29ers with rigid forks.

Finally, if you want to spend some cash, you can have a custom fork built to any specs you want....there must be a hundred custom builders that can do this...they will also build a full custom frame too.....

Rather than repeating the links here, you can go to my blog and find a bunch of links to sweet custom builders (if you like). (click this link and scroll down the right side of the page)

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IF prouducts look sweet........Thanks.

BikeMojo said:
I was hoping for more than two reply's to this thread,but am greatful for the two I got.Do you think the lack of reply's is a result of me not talking SS bikes rather bikes with gears?Anyway also have started this whole(maybe while I'm looking at new rigid bikes I should consider 29er's) Do you ride a IF frame or just the fork? Thanks BM. CF..

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
You may also want to consider Salsa, On-One (?)...and it looks like you can get a Titus 29er. I almost never go in the singlespeed forums or 29er...so I have no clue what's really going on. But so far, all of the suggestions have been good.

http://www.salsacycles.com/07_frames_preview.html
and
http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...er_op=view_page&PAGE_id=56&MMN_position=59:59
and
http://titusti.com/bikes/eleven.html - You can have it custom built for you as a 29er.

:rolleyes: -Hey Fred...you've done the Barn Drop on a 5 incher...now it's time to do it rigid. :rolleyes:

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
wmbarace said:
Vicious Cycles in New Paltz NY. He has been around the bike industry for a long time.I am sure he could hook you up. Builds real nice steel frames, forks and what not.

https://www.viciouscycles.com/forks.php3

Chris
The Vicious is nice, but I prefer the IF. It is more plush.

I have both, you see.

CRAZY FRED,
I don't think it is the gearie content that is keeping everyone at bay.... You see, the world of high end forks is very small.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
It appears that money is not a factor in your bike addiction. Therefore I also recommend a custom frame/fork option. I built a total bling bling IF 29 single speed. Way over budget....anyway it has been a wonderful bike to ride and even more fun to design and spec out all the parts. I took a wheel building class and even built my own wheels, so I can honestly say I assembled the entire bike.
I highly recommend the entire experience and IF or even Vicious is great to work with.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.