Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your thoughts....I've got a race coming up and my choice of tires on hand are WTB Exi's (wire) and WTB Moto's (folding). I'm going to put a Moto on back...should I....

A)run the Exi on front w/ rigid fork,
B)run a Moto on front w/ rigid fork,
C)run a Moto on front w/ a squishy fork.

extra....would it be worth looking for a local shop with a Maxxis Ignitor (or two)???

Course is rocky/rooty and rutty in places....probably about a 25 mile course...singlespeed.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
The choices!

Well, you pose a very interesting conundrum here...
I have been riding my Waltworks with a rigid WW fork and an Exi up front (with a tube between 25-30 lbs) with much success. This is my "training" setup, but I race on the Specy Proto Fast Trak tires (not much help since you can't get them... yet) with almost equal success. I say "almost" due to my front puncture at the SSWC, which was as rocky a course as I have ever seen (holy crap!). I would go with the Exi and the lowest tire pressure possible to help you absorb the rocks and roots of the course you describe. The bit of weight of the Exi shouldn't matter too much (unless you are doing crazy amounts of climbing on fire roads) and the grip should leave you smiling with all your chicklets in tact.

I am 160-165 and don't have the option of a sussy fork, but I am a huge believer in using the biggest volume / lowest psi combo I can.
My vote: rigid w/ Exi.

:D GG

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ridemore24 said:
steel rigid with exi/stans at 26 psi with great luck. I like this setup. Been used for a couple of 100's. Way better than ridig with a tubed tire... No brainer?
OK, here's another thought then....the wheelset on this bike is Phil hubs laced to Alex TD-17's...w/ tubes. My geared wheelset is Mavic Speedcities w/ Stan's goop, but no rim strip....I've run this wheel tubeless on 6 or 7 rides now without any problem....but that's with either a 3" or 4" squishy fork....do you think the Speedcity would still be fine tubeless (without stan's strip) on a rigid fork?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rigid KM with...

Exi up front, Nano in the rear for SoCal conditions. It's a winning setup! You mentioned that the course was rocky and rooty, so the Moto should serve you well. Exi in front = confidence. This should help you hold your speed...good luck in the race!

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
not a racer, but i am training for my first ride/race right now (the soul ride 60). i run a exi (about 25 psi) up front and a ignitor (32 psi) in the rear on my rigid ss (i weigh about 175 with gear).

i am also going to use a exi on my rigid geared bike. before i switch to the exi, i want to give some bonty acx 2.2 tires a try, both front and rear (though i doubt the acx up front will be as nice as the exi).

but back to your Q....the exi/ignitor combo is great (a nano in the rear is nice too though)....probably awesome for .the exi is heavy, but i personally think it rolls ok for it's size and weight and it is oh so comfy at 25 psi and inspires confidence if things get hairy. GIVE IT A TRY!

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Can we suggest options you don't own?

Hey since it looks like any suggestions are OK, what about shaving the front moto and using it on the back and buying a bonty XR front for the front? Get most of those knobs off of the rear tire and get ready to roll and roll.

Hey, it's just a suggestion! I'm going shaved mythos II front on the rear (really shaved, nearly bald) and a nano up front for my next (not technical *at all*) race w/ a KM fork.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
qtip said:
OK, here's another thought then....the wheelset on this bike is Phil hubs laced to Alex TD-17's...w/ tubes. My geared wheelset is Mavic Speedcities w/ Stan's goop, but no rim strip....I've run this wheel tubeless on 6 or 7 rides now without any problem....but that's with either a 3" or 4" squishy fork....do you think the Speedcity would still be fine tubeless (without stan's strip) on a rigid fork?
Qtip, sorry to do a semi-hijack here, but I have a question abt the Speedcities. I want them, BAD! They look super slick, and I want the tubeless option. I want to run Exis on them - do they hold the wide tire? Do you know the rim width, by any chance? Mavic doesnt have it listed anywhere....

Thanks very much!

Chris

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Rigid exi

Get some exi wolves and some nice wide rims and your good to go.

I'm always changing my bike set up this summer I mangled my derailleur hanger and blew out my fork damper unit. Instead of fixing, or defenestrating, the stuff I just said the "...heck with this.." and rode single speed for a month or so before I got around to fixing stuff.

In the pictures the rigid singlespeed is actually a bit heavier than the geared bike. But it felt faster. The exis float real nicely over the trail and the heavy casing lets you run low pressures and still not flat or squirm.

I was really surprised at how smooth the bike felt with just the fat tires. For racing the big tires weigh a bit, but the weight compromise is no more than what some riders do for a suspension fork.

I've compared both set ups, Skinny and squish vs. Fat and cush on the same bike and I would go for fat tires and a rigid fork. It is simpler, the weigh is the same and it just feels right for a single. It makes the bike flow well.

Good luck

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
my upcoming 24 hour race will involve Exis front and rear with rigid fork. While i have yet to try any other tires, these provide such confidence that they will probably stay right where they are for the race.

cheers

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheSingleGuy said:
Qtip, sorry to do a semi-hijack here, but I have a question abt the Speedcities. I want them, BAD! They look super slick, and I want the tubeless option. I want to run Exis on them - do they hold the wide tire? Do you know the rim width, by any chance? Mavic doesnt have it listed anywhere....

Thanks very much!

Chris
They hold the Exi just fine. They are narrow, but I don't think they are much narrower than an open pro or an MA3....but I could be wrong. I'm using the Exi tubeless without any problems so far. I might put a stan's rim strip on just to make sure the bead doesn't decide to pop off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.