Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
conjoinicorned
3,519 Posts
What alt bars? I've used 17,27,40 degree sweeps and drop bars....Marys are easily my favorite especially on the SS but drops are fun in a scary kind of way...They all set up different I'd be happy to share my experiences

·
one chain loop
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am thinking of a mary knock-off, the space off road 2. cosidered a drop bar but i think road levers is a prerequisite, so that's not happening. i am wondering though if my 70mm stem is long enough for an alt bar config.

·
nothing to see here
3,285 Posts
Carbon/Kevlar Ragley Carnegie's work well for me. 685mm, 25 degree sweep, 31.8mm rise with a bit of forward sweep and I use them with a Thomson 90mm 10 degree stem inverted.

edit to add: I previously used Salsa ProMoto carbon bars with 17 degree sweep, no rise and also on a 90mm stem. The Ragleys stretch me a little bit further, but they're designed so that you won't need to change your stem if you swap from standard bars.

·
conjoinicorned
3,519 Posts
i am thinking of a mary knock-off, the gary off road 2. cosidered a drop bar but i think road levers is a prerequisite, so that's not happening. i am wondering though if my 70mm stem is long enough for an alt bar config.
The marys forward sweep, not sure about the Gary? This means you can use your current stem...although I personally find 10-20mm longer works well as the different hand position can "feel" like you are closer in reach. On my trail bike I still use a short stem as I like the upright feel.
The tilt of the bars is the most important thing, even a slight tilt changes the bar feel and height quite a lot. I like mine tilted quite a lot but you'll need to play with them and see.

You would need brakes specific to drops to go that route.

·
one chain loop
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
edit to add: I previously used Salsa ProMoto carbon bars with 17 degree sweep, no rise and also on a 90mm stem. The Ragleys stretch me a little bit further, but they're designed so that you won't need to change your stem if you swap from standard bars.
thanks steve, nice info and those ragley's are beaut. i am currently using 50mm on riser and the thing is dialed, so i still have to see if 70mm is good enough (hopefully).

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,409 Posts
I am not a huge fan of alt bars. I've had both of Misfit Pscyles FU bars, the Mary and something else... I liked the FU2 the best and used it for over a year. Then I put a riser with a 5 degree sweep on my commuter and I noticed I was getting more torque on it than my wider FU2. The Mary and the FUbar had too much sweep. 100mm on the FUbars, 80mm with the Mary, by the way, don't remember the angle, but not much. 15 or 5 degrees.

I had a WTB drop bar too. Drop bars are pretty cool for descending. Once you are in the hooks you can keep your hands really loose without much risk of losing control. But I hated climbing with them, or navigating tech sections.

So **** it. 660mm flat/risers are where it is at. As in the minimum. I have a 29" bar on my SS right now and I think it is amazing. Probably can't go much wider though, or I'll have to put my face on the stem. I use a 90mm stem with the 29" bar and 660 gets the 80mm. Makes no sense, I know...

·
one chain loop
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do have 28" bars and love it too except that i do experience numbness, tingling fingers once in a while.

maybe i'll hate the alts or maybe not, i think it is worth the gamble. carnegies are sure drool worthy, and quite impressed with that 50mm stem. anyone willing to do a trade? :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've used Marys, Origin 8 Space Bar OR (now on my SSCX bike), and am currently running Misfit FUbars (with 100mm stem) on my Dissent, and they are perfect. I just wish I could get them in Carbon...

I'm looking hard at the Carnegie Carbons, less sweep (25mm vs 33mm on the FUbar), but more rise (31mm vs 26mm) and wider.

Stevob- How do the Carnegies ride? Any better or worse than a aluminum bar?

·
nothing to see here
3,285 Posts
Stevob- How do the Carnegies ride? Any better or worse than a aluminum bar?
I feel that they ride much better than the carbon Salsa bars I had. A little wider, giving more leverage for climbing, and (for me at least) the perfect amount of sweep back. I bought these bars looking for something stronger than the Salsa bars, with better climbing traits (width and sweep) and I got that but what I didn't expect from them was a huge increase in downhill control. I've gained so much more speed downhill now that I'm using the Carnegie's. Downhills were always my weak point. Now I'm just as fast (if not faster) than most of my mates who use squishy forks.

As for comfort, there's no comparison between these and my aluminium Mary bars. The Carnegie's win hands down.

The only downside is that the paint on mine is cracking, and they're yellowing a little too. They come in black paint or raw kelvar finishes also.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I'd like to give the Salsa Bend bars a go. The Carnegies are great, but I wouldn't mind a slighly wider bar for trail riding and leverage - something the Salsa Bend bars offer.

The Carnegies are an improvement on the On-One Mary Bars IMHO because they are a bit wider than Mary Bars.

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
IMG_4977sm

mary with a 70mm stem (I think it is short whatever length it is). I run the stem upside down for lower handlebar height. For me this is the killer technical AZ trail setup: rocky, tight, steep and loose.

IMG_5745

I have used the fleegle and all assortments of handlebars from original Tange Prestige high bend cromo bars in the late 80's through no bend bars in the 90's through all kids of riser in the late 90's early aughts to the fleegle then the mary. The mary is hands down the best bar I have used since and especially so on a rigid application (which prior to fat front I was just using a standard 29er wheel and tire but it also is well suited to the fat front),

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
I'd like to give the Salsa Bend bars a go. The Carnegies are great, but I wouldn't mind a slighly wider bar for trail riding and leverage - something the Salsa Bend bars offer.

The Carnegies are an improvement on the On-One Mary Bars IMHO because they are a bit wider than Mary Bars.
I have a Salsa Bend in the 23 bend, they aren't as bent as the Mary and aren't that much wider either. I will try to get a picture of them overlayed tomorrow.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,409 Posts
I have used the fleegle and all assortments of handlebars from original Tange Prestige high bend cromo bars in the late 80's through no bend bars in the 90's through all kids of riser in the late 90's early aughts to the fleegle then the mary. The mary is hands down the best bar I have used since and especially so on a rigid application (which prior to fat front I was just using a standard 29er wheel and tire but it also is well suited to the fat front),
Blah, blah... is that The Enabler you got there?

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,409 Posts
soitenly is. Have had one ride on the setup, pretty amazing.
Anything with a 2.4 tire? I've been thinking about picking one up, mainly for the water bottle bosses, but the peeps I am hearing is that the ****er is stiff.

Sweet bike. Wish I had something like it. But I spend all my money convincing ex girlfriends to go with my to Swahili.

·
Content from my avatar
4,403 Posts
sorry i meant origin8 space and not gary :madman: although i looked at the gary but like i said, i don't think i can get away without using a road lever. then i have to wrap my bars and be hipster like erik. :D
You called? :prft:

I think I've been riding the Origin8 Gary dirt drops for about a month now? I like them a lot. Not something I would put on a mountain bike that sees technical stuff, because like umarth said, they're not so great for that. I like them for ascents as well as descents too though, because I don't even have to grip them while descending, and the drops give a lot of leverage for climbing. They're made for either a 25.4 or 31.8 stem, so that shouldn't give you problems.

That said, I do run drop-specific brake levers. But that's also because there are no v-brake or disc bosses on the bike ('73 Schwinn Le Tour), so it's a lot simpler to just go with roadie-specific levers and brakes. I think you could run some flat-bar levers if you wanted to, though. They would obviously work on the top of the bar, and there's plenty of space on the drops if you wanted to be weird and mount the levers on the bottom of the drops instead.

I can't remember how wide they are, pretty sure it's 530mm at the tips of the drops. They've got 135mm reach with 80mm of drop, and 15 degrees of flair from the top of the drop to the bottom. The very end of the drop portion is pretty flexy, so that makes rough riding on 28mm tires a bit nicer.

Bonus? My roadie buddy hates the look of them, and says that I should just put some conventional drops on the bike. Hell nah I won't.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.