Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been biking long so I don't know much, but why do people like rigid setups so much? It seems counter Intuitive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's definitely the "back to basics" appeal for me. Simplifying the bike cuts out so much potential for frustrating mechanicals when you're out for a ride and it gives a whole new perspective on picking your lines and building up your bike handling skills to get over/through obstacles on the trail.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Agreed with above. Simplicity, quiet, lightweight, and it makes you a better rider by having to pick good lines and use the trail to your advantage (rather than just floating over stuff and using gears as a crutch).

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
I think the development of suspension would have been significantly stifled if the tires we have now were available back in the day.
Not saying the efficiencies of suspension wouldn't be embraced, but if we had 2.4" high volume tires back then, I think more people would still be riding rigid.
29'ers just make it even better.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm geared, so I can't claim that aspect of it. My rides are 60-75% climbing in terms of time spent. The efficiency of climbing on the light rigid bike outweighs any loss of speed on downhills. I can't think of a situation I've been in where suspension actually helped me climb.

·
WNC Native
3,929 Posts
Agree with everyone above. It makes you a better rider, there is no having to check fork pressure, NO maintenance, don't have to worry about ruining seals during wet grimy weather, it just feels awesome when railing a corner, and you will be cool like us;) .

Seriously give it a try!

·
Noli Me Tangere
412 Posts
Other than the 'back-to-basics' aspects of it, I think most people ride rigid because its more physically challenging. Climbs and rough terrain isnt enough.

I have a love-hate relationship with my MC29er. It really beats me up that my wrists, shoulders, back and knee hurts after a good solid ride but yet I cant wait to ride it again. I learned to ride it slower compared to my FS Hi-Fi and definitely pick my lines (go around rocks for example) whereas I wouldn't think twice of rolling over rocks with my FS.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
cycleboy said:
I'm geared, so I can't claim that aspect of it. My rides are 60-75% climbing in terms of time spent. The efficiency of climbing on the light rigid bike outweighs any loss of speed on downhills. I can't think of a situation I've been in where suspension actually helped me climb.
QFT. Although I do ride SS but I agree. While 80mm in the front might make you more comfortable you still have to be very active on your bike in order to navigate the tough terrain. I'll take the precise tracking and feel of a rigid fork over 80mm in the front any day. And for climbing there is just no better feeling than a rigid bike underneath you.

But it can be painful.

The simplicity and worry free maintenance is nice for sure, but it isn't why I ride rigid SS. I just plain enjoy it. I demoed a FS geared 26in bike at Big Bear and it was very nice and soft and I felt much less fatigue in the weight bearing parts of my body. But it was also 12 lbs heavier than my normal ride and spinning seated up climbs just doesn't feel right to me.

I'm sure I would get used to it and even get very confident with it over time but all of that extra weight made the bike more of a hinderance in almost every climbing situation even with a granny ring (which I abandoned due to chain suck about 3/4 of the way through my lap, but thats a mechanical issue that can be worked out not a flaw in the ride itself) and squish in the back.

I think a FS geared bike has a place in my stable but it would need to be pretty high end (ie. light) for me to be happy with it. Pedalling 30+ lbs is just miserable.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I went rigid because suspended was expensive. I'm enjoying it - after a few rides on my favorite trails I'm learning to ride it. My riding sure did get sloppy on my FS bike ;)

·
3,707 Posts
Had all sorts of bikes, but my rigid 29er is my favorite so far. I'm hoping to upgrade pretty much everything (or build another one from ground up) this year. Fully rigid + one gear + Big tires w/ low pressure = bliss.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The over all efficiency and climbing ability of a ridged 29er makes trailing ride that much more fun. Never mind ripping of derailleurs when your on those trails you end up bush whacking the whole time as well. I have a 26 geared bike but I never ride it anymore. I have some much more fun of the ridged 29er/

·
Combat Wombat
1,784 Posts
Rusty21 said:
I haven't been biking long so I don't know much, but why do people like rigid setups so much? It seems counter Intuitive.
For me, its also about adding more to the ride. I started out 19 years ago riding a rigid geared bike, moved through several HTs, eventually spending more money on a FS bike than I ever imagined I would spend on a bicycle. Then converted one of the old HTs into a SS, because one of the local trails is pretty much flat and several friends seemed to enjoy it. Got hooked on the SS, found out I loved the challenge and it was not the disadvantage I originally thought it would be. One day I sent my Fox TALAS off to get serviced and borrowed a rigid fork from a friend to keep riding until I got my Fox back. During the 3 weeks the Fox was gone, I found that just like riding only one gear, the rigid fork was not the crutch that everyone made it out to be. And just like one gear, got hooked on the challenge. It is harder, very unforgiving of poor lines and handling skills, but that is what makes it so much fun. Of course, never having to service it and less weight is a nice bonus.

I do not think it is for everyone. And I have ridden trails that if they were an everyday ride, I probably would consider some type of suspension.

Brian

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with the idea. For me, it always sounds better in theory than it is in practice. I like to go blazingly fast downhill, and at high speed through rocks, you can't pick a good line, only a possible line. It sometimes gets so jarring that no matter how loose I try to be, I feel like my flesh will be pulled off my bones. Heck, the rattling gets so bad that I can't even SEE the trail to be able to pick a good line. So right now, I have a Fox 100mm fork on my SIR9 single speed. Most likely, about 6 months from now, I will forget the pain and put the rigid fork back on for awhile.

But if you don't mind sacrificing a bit of speed (and comfort) on the downhills, a rigid fork is a viable option. There's definitely something appealing about the predictablitily and simplicity of a rigid fork.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts