Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a non-suspension corrected fork for my WaltWorks overhaul. It needs to be V brake compatible. I'm thinking probably a cyclocross fork, but then clearance will be an issue. I'd like not to have to go custom if I can help it because I'd like a carbon fork for the weight savings. Is someone doing custom carbon forks BTW?

Attachments

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again all. Good to be back! So, I'll have a look in that direction, Cheers and yes, my W.W. steel fork HAS been the best riding rigid fork I have EVER owned.....no question. The reason I want to replace it is because it has mega-miles on it and I'm wondering about an acceptable (and lighter option) thast won't fail me in the middle of a race and crush my teeth on my bar.

·
Registered
742 Posts
replace it with the same walt fork if you think that one is going to break cause it would be wrong if you put something else on there. I personally like how the carbon niner fork looks with a steel frame but its sad it doesn't come with V brakes. let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm sure Walt will build you another. I don't think you are even close to the fatigue point yet. Call up walt and see if he has a trade in program

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crown to axle is 42.5. I do like the fork and I know I could have Walt do me another one, but wanted to explore the possibility of lighter and prolly less expensive options. Cheers: those Exotic forks look like a possibility. Do we know how they ride? I could get the 26er version with a 42.5 C/A length. It's 1.6lbs with uncut steerer which would save me some grams over my Walt fork.

Scooter: The reason I'm concerned about failure of my fork is because my friend's WW fork failed last summer on him. We both bought our WW frames/forks at the same time. Luckily he avoided serious injury, but it could have been bad.

I'm going super light on this rebuild. She's going to get a new wheelset, crankset, Extralite V-brakes, AX-Lightness saddle, etc., etc. Also getting a new powdercoat and if I get a carbon fork I'd like to have that powdercoated along with the frame, I'm thinking. Question: will the heat of powdercoating cause trouble for a carbon fork?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,919 Posts
The Exotic forks have been reviewed in the 29er forum. Saso has a carbon fork also that might do the job for you. I've tried the Mosso carbon-wrapped alloy fork with a Schwalbe RR 29 x 2.4 and basically there was no clearance to spare. A leaf would get stuck between tire and crown so I know that one's out of the question (though it would hit your non-suspension corrected A-to-C number pretty closely). Check on ebay.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Axis II said:
Scooter: The reason I'm concerned about failure of my fork is because my friend's WW fork failed last summer on him. We both bought our WW frames/forks at the same time. Luckily he avoided serious injury, but it could have been bad.
steel does not fatigue. It is as strong brand new as it is a year later, five years later, 15 years later, etc. There is the potential that riding for a while can expose a flaw in a weld or the material or that you accidentally push the fork beyond what it was made for, but if you inspect regularly then you should be able catch any of these when they are still a crack and have it easily fixed (and more likely under warranty too) and you can go back to riding it for another decade. Steel is very likely to show a crack well before anything bad happens.

There is also the potential for internal rust problems to grow with time if not taken care of, but that is actually a very rare problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
blackcatbonebikes makes a custom carbon rigid Lefty fork... Will fit every frame and is available in 26 and 29" ... Really light also!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
about the powder coating, only metal can be powder coated, the heat will also melt the epoxy and damage the fork. You will need to pet paint your carbon fork and should be able to match the powde rcoat on the frame pretty easily

now I gotta go look at the carbon lefty

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's this fork... Custom colour for the clamps and 670 grams...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
A friend, who's a hammer-clyde, has been running an Origin8 on one SS and a White Brothers on another SS; both are excellent. They are the same fork (I THINK), and MIGHT be manufactured by Exotic, but my money for crucial parts goes to name brands.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
boomn said:
steel does not fatigue. It is as strong brand new as it is a year later, five years later, 15 years later, etc. There is the potential that riding for a while can expose a flaw in a weld or the material or that you accidentally push the fork beyond what it was made for, but if you inspect regularly then you should be able catch any of these when they are still a crack and have it easily fixed (and more likely under warranty too) and you can go back to riding it for another decade. Steel is very likely to show a crack well before anything bad happens.

There is also the potential for internal rust problems to grow with time if not taken care of, but that is actually a very rare problem.
Yup, rust happens. Had two frames fail due to internal rust. One was a two year old Stumpjumper where water collected in the seat stay and ate through to the outside. That was under warranty, luckily.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ninko said:
It's this fork... Custom colour for the clamps and 670 grams...
That fork is sick! How much?

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Axis: no I have not tried the particular fork I suggested to you. I actually do not own any ridgid bikes at the moment. However I have been follow the 29er stuff recently as I'm thinking about a single speed 29er. Ba part is I'm only 5'8" tall. Which means I need a pretty small frame and sometimes not so great geometry. Also if I can not build a singlespeed 29er lighter than my 17lbs ti hardtail with absuspension fork. I'm not interested.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Axis: no I have not tried the particular fork I suggested to you. I actually do not own any ridgid bikes at the moment. However I have been follow the 29er stuff recently as I'm thinking about a single speed 29er. Ba part is I'm only 5'8" tall. Which means I need a pretty small frame and sometimes not so great geometry. Also if I can not build a singlespeed 29er lighter than my 17lbs ti hardtail with absuspension fork. I'm not interested.

·
I'M A CHEAPSKATE
306 Posts
Ninko said:
blackcatbonebikes makes a custom carbon rigid Lefty fork... Will fit every frame and is available in 26 and 29" ... Really light also!
How much is that fork? Their site wasn't working for me.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Axis II said:
Yup, rust happens. Had two frames fail due to internal rust. One was a two year old Stumpjumper where water collected in the seat stay and ate through to the outside. That was under warranty, luckily.
You're right. I should have qualified that it is very rare given some preventative maintenance (FrameSaver, Boeshield, etc) and attention to draining and/or venting the frame after really wet rides.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Cabdoctor said:
How much is that fork? Their site wasn't working for me.
€ 525,= Not cheap, but light and exclusive!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts