Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Right foot forward on the bike.

Left foot forward on skateboards/snowboards (although, I don't really "do" either of those, I just know which foot forward).

I can ride left foot forward, and do occasionally for certain turns/etc, but it does feel more akward. I should practice that sometime.

I also think my right foot forward riding style came from when I was a kid, and my right leg was way stronger than my left (Soccer player, that was my kicking foot, and I've got impressively prominent osgood schlatter disease to prove it, although that image isn't mine, just one I ripped from the internet). And when I was that age, I mostly was worried about doing sweet wheelies off of curbs. So it made sense to lead with the stronger leg to get the front tire off of the ground. And I think it just kind of stuck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The responses are interesting.. I thought regular foot (left forward) or goofy foot (right forward) would carry over from bike to (skate)board, but the responses say otherwise. Good to know.
It's the "pop" foot. I pop a skateboard tail with the same foot I pop the lead pedal. Just feels natural to start pedaling with one foot over the other. On the other hand, you do have to switch it up on turns and cliffs as necessary for the terrain.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,989 Posts
The responses are interesting.. I thought regular foot (left forward) or goofy foot (right forward) would carry over from bike to (skate)board, but the responses say otherwise. Good to know.
I think the only reason it does for me, is that I habitually unclip my right foot when coming to a stop. So my left leg has become my 'dominant' leg to start. Making it also more comfortable when needing to pop up something. Despite the fact that my right leg is stronger.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
That did hold true for me until I practiced riding switch on the bike.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,369 Posts
I wear two left shoes on trails that are mostly clockwise, and two right shoes on counter clockwise. Thataway, whichever foot is forward, or not, it’s always correct, depending on which way I’m turning.
See what I mean?
I would, but can't get past that username.

Also, what's a clockwise shoe?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think the only reason it does for me, is that I habitually unclip my right foot when coming to a stop. So my left leg has become my 'dominant' leg to start. Making it also more comfortable when needing to pop up something. Despite the fact that my right leg is stronger.
That's interesting too... I ride flats on MTB, but clipless on a road bike. I never thought about it with the road bike, but I ride the same regular foot. I unclip my right foot as well.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,989 Posts
You should feel equally comfortable with either foot forward

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Which one is the one you hit subconsciously. I can ride either, but I have to think about right first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Right forward while coasting, right up front when I used to skate, right up front while snow boarding, right up on the bed when behind the wife

Just seems right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rippin da fAt
9,220 Posts
When coasting, what pedal/leg do you guys put in front. I personally put my left pedal/leg in front.
Eliminating the "chocolate foot" is a tedious process. With that said, there is no preference in that regard. Being able to do equally well in trialsy riding is of the utmost importance in my riding.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I started racing, I would care more... but what do I know, I play golf right handed and play hockey left handed lol.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You’d think it would work that way… but then there are people who surf regular and skate/snowboard goofy, etc.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You should feel equally comfortable with either foot forward

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
If that was the case, you’d see the top free ride/slope guys riding switch all the time.

Just one obvious example

·
slow
7,290 Posts
More weight support is on the rear leg while biking but on the front leg while boarding (except in the powder) so the forward leg would switch between sports.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts