Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nothing's impossible...

but that might take some creative measures. In my experience, with the stock cranks and bb, 34 teeth up front run very near the chainstay, and 36 was very close when the ring was mounted on the outside (and impossible on the inside).

Of course maybe someone else has tried a longer bb, shimming the chainring out, wiggling the eccentric toward the drive side, etc., and hopefully they can weigh in with a solution for you.

What kind of ratio are you hoping for, using such large rings? Will this be used on trails?

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want something I can race recreational cross on or race enduro plus a bit of leisure riding with my girl friend. Not sure about the ratios, looking for something similar to 46:18.

I think I will check out gearing tables.

Thanks for the input

SD

·
Registered
138 Posts
32:12

Swampdonkey said:
I want something I can race recreational cross on or race enduro plus a bit of leisure riding with my girl friend. Not sure about the ratios, looking for something similar to 46:18.

SD
32 (stock cahinring):12 (or 13) will give you a similar ratio to the 46:18.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Swampdonkey said:

I think I will check out gearing tables.

Thanks for the input

SD
You do need to check the gear charts. A 46x18 is in the (high end of the) range commonly used for road fixies. Very high for any off road use and not very "leisurely" on the road (90rpm = 19.8mph).

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am using a xt octilink bb with lx cranks. to get proper chainline the 32 tooth chain ring mounted inside with a rig gaurd out, the chainring is real close to the chainstay.
maybe with a cassette rear ss hub you could have more chainline adjustability compaired to my thread on freewheel... not sure. i don't think i could run anything over a 34 and that would be really close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.