Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding a few months ago when I happened upon another rider who looked like they were a little confused on a trail intersection, I was fast approaching from behind and was calling out to him because he was stopping in the middle of the trail to figure out his next move which in turn caused me to loose my flow which I really didn't care about so I stopped and called out to him again to give directions on where to go because the trail was alittle obscured by all the fall leaves. He turned around as I approached and I saw those stupid earbud wires hanging from his helmet. My question is why do people insist on riding with mp'3 players do they need it for motivation are they bored on the trail I thought the purpose of being outside was to enjoy the sounds and sights of the woods listening to your bike working and to be aware of your surroundings. Just wanted to vent, I think mp3's should be left in the car. IMO

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess not everybody is out mountain biking to enjoy the sights and sounds of the woods or the sound of his bike. He needs to work on being aware of his surroundings i guess, since he became a road block for you.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
On group rides I don't often use them.
Most of the time I don't use them solo.

When I'm just cruizing on some of the desert fireroads they do make it nicer and they can help keep the cold as crap wind out of my ears.

I usually don't turn them up beyond just hearing the music so they don't often overwelm other noises.

I just wish my neighbors would discover earbuds so I didn't have to listen to their blaring crap they call music and manners so I wouldn't have to hear them yelling.

·
No known cure
5,611 Posts
This is a gripe of mine too. Especially during a race. If the rider ahead has their music turned up too loud during a race and I need to get around, I'll gently buzz their rear tire to get their attention. It's not that big of a deal on the trail. I can wait 'till there's room to pass.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
Most of the time when I'm solo, I ride without music, but sometimes I really want to have some tunes.
I never use buds or IEMs, since they block out too much surrounding noises. I always use these
They let me stay aware of my surroundings and a plus in the winter is that they protect my ears from the chill wind.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, cant say im a big fan of it either, i thought the idea was beeing out in the wilderness by yourself or with good mates taking in all that mother nature has to offer us, not polluting it with noise.
just my 2 cents worth

cheers

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing better than hearing your bike working the terrain, you can almost tell when some thing is going to go wrong by just the sound of the bike i.e. spoke breaking, branch getting caught, a new squeak or creak. Personally I love riding just listening to peacefulness of the outdoors. Maybe it's because I am getting older and crankier........more people need to know the pleasure of calmness.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,983 Posts
I've always found (through several cycles of using/not using mp3) that the music interferes with the riding experience -- even when commuting. Now, it's never been an issue, as I am one of the only bike commuters on the SE side of town; but I prefer the sounds of life.

And yes, I agree -- if you stop on the trail, PULL THE F OVER! But then, people at work stop in the middle of a working aisle to talk, leaving me to hold the load I'm hauling while they obliviously blather on. My courtesy is barely on the scale when I say something.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Vader said:
This is a gripe of mine too. Especially during a race. If the rider ahead has their music turned up too loud during a race and I need to get around, I'll gently buzz their rear tire to get their attention. It's not that big of a deal on the trail. I can wait 'till there's room to pass.
Whaaaa? People wear them during races? That's totally focking lame. :madmax:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jesus not this again. Just because someone has earbuds on while riding does NOT mean they are oblivious to everything around them. I ride with them on the trail, commuting or whenever I'm on my bike unless I have company. And they are never so loud that I can't hear whats going on around me. I can still hear the freewheel clicking on my roadie commuter. So if you don't want to wear them, DON'T. Its just like if something on television offends you, change the channel. But leave those of us who like it alone.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
jjange68 said:
I was riding a few months ago when I happened upon another rider who looked like they were a little confused on a trail intersection, I was fast approaching from behind and was calling out to him because he was stopping in the middle of the trail to figure out his next move which in turn caused me to loose my flow which I really didn't care about so I stopped and called out to him again to give directions on where to go because the trail was alittle obscured by all the fall leaves. He turned around as I approached and I saw those stupid earbud wires hanging from his helmet. My question is why do people insist on riding with mp'3 players do they need it for motivation are they bored on the trail I thought the purpose of being outside was to enjoy the sounds and sights of the woods listening to your bike working and to be aware of your surroundings. Just wanted to vent, I think mp3's should be left in the car. IMO
I am glad I have not ran into people like that. I already get angry with people driving with cell phones... :madmax:

·
Registered
177 Posts
When I am doing group rides, not ussually. When I am out suffering by myself, yes. I keep them low, ussually can carry on a conversation with other riders with them in. Some times I will wear just one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I only have one in on one ear at a low volume so I can know whats going on around me. Its more like a faint background noise to me. I use music mostly for climbing and long sections that I have to keep my mind off my burning legs. If I am not trying to keep my mind off my pain and I am having a blast down a hill or something I don't really even hear the music cause I am concentrating on my riding.

Group rides I don't use music cause I would rather hear my buddies than music. Only on solo rides do I use any kind of music.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.