Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Birthday USA!

Two weeks ago a group of us rode the Freeman Creek Trail in the Sequoia National Monument in the Southern Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. While this trail is short on length it is long on quality. These majestic trees are awe inspiring and it was a real treat to ride amongst them. They are some of the oldest living things on the planet so 1776 and 1492, were last weekend, and last summer for these trees.

Here is the ride report

And for the video

Right Click on the image to the left to download the 9 minute video that is 70MB in size.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Very cool footage, I liked the spider tagging along for a ride too. Definitely some awesome sights there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Excellent video! I rode this trail last summer along with the Needles Lookout trail and the Camp Nelson trail over 2 days. I stayed at the Motel 6 in Porterville. These are all great trails in a seldom used area. Thanks for the video. I'm going to check out your website.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
mtbbill said:
Happy Birthday USA!

Two weeks ago a group of us rode the Freeman Creek Trail in the Sequoia National Monument in the Southern Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. While this trail is short on length it is long on quality. These majestic trees are awe inspiring and it was a real treat to ride amongst them. They are some of the oldest living things on the planet so 1776 and 1492, were last weekend, and last summer for these trees.

Did you happen to hit Bear Creek? You were right across the road from the Summit Trail that leads to the start of the Bear Creek downhill, definitley worth a look.

·
It's not what you think.
477 Posts
Rivet said:
Did you happen to hit Bear Creek? You were right across the road from the Summit Trail that leads to the start of the Bear Creek downhill, definitley worth a look.
I rode the Camp Nelson, Sherman Peak and Bear Creek trails 2 years ago and still think about them all the time. As short as it is, the Camp Nelson Trail is among my all time faves!

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
After being outside all day yesterday, it was hard to come back to the office and this definitely helped rejuvinate me... Reminds us of some of what we're working for in the first place...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Holy smooth trails batman. Now I get how people on the left coast are tending back toward the rigids. Great video.

·
Nothing to see here
892 Posts
Great shots and write-up. I'm heading up to that area in August and was wondering: how far is that area from Kernville or Lake Isabella (drive-wise)?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mapquest says it's 46 miles from Kernville to Camp Nelson which is west of and beyond Quaking Aspen campground on CA-190. I would guess it's about 38 to Q.A. but it is slow going on curvy mtn roads. Let me know when you go and perhaps I could join you. I go back to work around August 9th. but weekends are available after that. There are some great trails in that area in addition to the Cannell Trail.

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been tinkering

Wherewolf said:
Fun stuff. But how did you get the 3:2 aspect ratio?
I have been tinkering with different sizes, compression and video processing with the WMV format. I have settled on the format that BikingViking orginally suggested. 540 by 360. It ends of being the same aspect ratio that came out of the camera 720 by 480. I found that the results from encoding right from Premiere did not come out as well as using the standalone encoder using an AVI created with Premiere. I ended up reencoding the Cannell video as well. I will most likely redo my last 5-6 vids as well.

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maddog said:
Mapquest says it's 46 miles from Kernville to Camp Nelson which is west of and beyond Quaking Aspen campground on CA-190. I would guess it's about 38 to Q.A. but it is slow going on curvy mtn roads. Let me know when you go and perhaps I could join you. I go back to work around August 9th. but weekends are available after that. There are some great trails in that area in addition to the Cannell Trail.
If I remember correctly it was around an hour or so. Results and tire wear may vary.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.