Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, and to my surprise there aren't any dedicated threads about riding with our best friends!

About 2 months ago we adopted a 2 1/2 year old black lab named Cody. He's awesome, to say the least. We're so lucky to have him, and we think he feels the same about us. So since Cody is so well behaved and seems to have quite a bit of energy, I thought he might enjoy riding with me. I haven't tried it yet, but I will very soon and I hope it works out well!

Please share riding pics with your dogs, and share a few comments about what riding is like with him/her, and how you got into it. Tips and advice welcome and encouraged!

Here's a pic of Cody for starters:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 7 year old black lab. He's a lean lab, but he's pretty big. As such, he has one speed....10mph. That is his speed uphill, downhill, across the hill, etc. One speed. He learned early on to watch out for wheels and in general is really good around other riders, but my wife. For some reason he likes to screw with her. Maybe he likes to see her crash?

For my pooch, I can't ride too fast or too far. He's in good shape, but a few miles and he's wooped, and I worry about his joint health so I keep it super mellow. Kinda boring for me, but......

By the way, you can start a full on war on these forums with just the dog leash topic alone. Some people are really weirded out by off-leash pups.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Labs are grate riding partners cause they don't run off, they like to stay with you. Be careful though, I lost one of mine to heat exhaustion (90 degree temps) because I didn't pay attention to the warning signs. Remember while your coasting their still working. I always carry an extra water bottle just for the dogs although here recently my chocolate Lab is getting a little old and it’s to much for her even though she still wants to go every time I grab my helmet. It’s heart breaking but I know it’s for the better if she doesn’t go. My Labs always behave better when I take them out two to three time a week, it seems to take the high energy streak out of them. They say the best thing you can ever do for your Lab is to wear ‘em out every day.

Happy Trails,

Zenke!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
my trail *****

I ride with a pointer mix, she's a great trail dog and strong. I limit my dog runs to about 10 miles. Longer rides often can cause hip problems later in life.
When I had a yellow lab mix it would run off and hunt for up to 2 hours but I think she was living on her own before I adopter her from the pound. Try to train with a whistle so when hearing it will return, a lot easier than trying to yell.
I also only take her on rides that are not very rocky and crowded with hikers, mine is no problem with a bunch of riders. But the more technical, the slower you are going, easier for the dog.
When hot, she'll drink more water than me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
We have a leash law in our neighborhood so we obey that. It improves bike handling skills. When I sit at the foot of the stairs to change shoes she darts upstairs to get water and returns ready to go.

She understand provisioning and will also go at a pace that make sure she has reserve energy to show off at the spots where people are.

We walked about 50 miles dog on left and bike on right to get her used to the idea. When I finally rode the bike a lightbulb went off and you could tell she finally understood why I had been bringing the bike along for a month.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We have a Choc lab named Fatty

She is a great dog. If we are doing a really slow ride we will take her with us. She does great on 4 or 5 mile runs, but biking too far would wipe her out I think. We also have an Aussie Sheppard who loves to go riding and can go forever and not skip a beat.

·
Registered
390 Posts
my adopted german shepherd is 3 years old. We are pretty sure he was a puppy mill dog and was raised in a kennel because he seems like he rides the short bus. Also, he has been diagnosed with a terminal spinal disease called degenerative myelopathy. The vet said our only hope to delay the inevitable was to exercise the bejebus out of him. He is 80 pounds (slim) and the nerve disorder has caused him to have uncoordinated back legs. I would say they act like they are 30% asleep or numb if you can imagine.

Having said that, I worked him up from 2 mile bike rides around the neighborhood on a leash to 45 minute trail runs in a month. Did that for a month, and now we are up to 2 hours - 12-13 miles. He loves it and can go about 2 ten mile days in a row. After that, he starts to act a little sore around the house (even though he still wants to go when he sees the bike). The beauty of it all, is that he has improved greatly and has become much more coordinated. Without a trained eye, you would not know that he is losing use of his hind legs. I gotta think that the same kind of exercise would be even better for a healthy dog.

Photobucket

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here is a vid of my with my Husky with the added bonus of some winter passion. She takes a shortcut until the :33 second mark when she bursts back into the shot. I'm sure I've posted it before, but in case you missed it:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.