Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a riding trip to Virginia planned for this weekend but but with the predicted 2 to 3 inches of rain down there, we're thinking of heading west instead as it looks like the least amount of rain predicted within a 5-6 hr drive (I'm in eastern pa)..

Looking for recommendations on an area with decent chunk of of trails capable of doing a big all day ride one day, but with camping options on site or nearby.. and I guess ideally someplace that handle a bit of rain..

I rarely get west of around State College, so am I unfamiliar with western PA.. thanks for any input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah have been there quite a bit, but thanks. Ended in stokesville va after all.. rained good yesterday but is beautiful out now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Hermit
990 Posts
Wish I would have checked this forum last week, when you actually needed to know this.

For future reference, the trails in Quebec Wild Area section of Forbes State Forest are very nice, and back country overnight camping is allowed.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateForests/FindAForest/Forbes/Pages/default.aspx

Also, the Laurel Highlands area around Laurel Hill State Park and Laurel Mountain State Park has some pretty great riding, and it holds up against rain pretty well.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4531024/best-of-laurel-advanced

Laurel Hill State Park has camping.

Steve Z

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good stuff! I live just South of Pittsburgh in Bethel Park and am familiar with the general areas noted here but never ridden or seen the trails. I will be now tho!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just returned from a 3 day trip to S-W Pa - WV, its a great place to ride. I did day 1 at Coopers Rock state forest in Morgantown WV right over the border. day 2 at Ohiopyle Pa, the trails along sugarloaf rd starting at the top of the mountain with McCune trail. Day 3 at Big Bear Lake campground in Bruceton Mills WV, the site of the Dirt Rag Celebration for WV. All 3 are destination worthy locations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.