Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience riding 1.25 semi-slicks on fire roads? I have a race this weekend that is 25% fire road and 75% on road. I have a set of Geax 1.25” tires that I used to use for on road training. I’m considering using them for the race, figuring I can jump off the bike at any technical sections and make up tons of time on the road. Obviously a 1.95 semi slick would be ideal, but I don’t want to invest $30 - $40 for a one time situation.

BTW- if I remembered that I had these tires, I would have tested them before waiting for the last minute...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My other choice is a 2" knobby that is a dog on the road. I'm concerned about flatting or the tire blowing out. I'm not concerned with off road handling or stopping since I have control over that. A tire blowing out because it got pounded on a root isn't so much under my control...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
LSett said:
My other choice is a 2" knobby that is a dog on the road. I'm concerned about flatting or the tire blowing out. I'm not concerned with off road handling or stopping since I have control over that. A tire blowing out because it got pounded on a root isn't so much under my control...
If you "have control over that" you should not be pounding roots.

The Semi-Slick Rant

You are not going very fast if you are fixing a flat, either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.