Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i've read a few threads here about riding while pregnant, but it's more personal for me now, as I just found out I'm about 3&1/2 weeks pregnant :)

I was planning to still do some riding, non technical taking it easy. Was planning a ride with my sister in-law and husband tomorrow. She told a friend (who's had 3 kids) and then called me back and said they didn't think I should ride until I'm past 12 weeks. Now my husband's worried.

What do you guys think? What are your experiences?

thanks,
pfunk

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
non technical and taking it easy...? Why not, I certainly don't know any more than your sister's friend. If you hadn't found out you were pregnant, you'd still be going, right? Is there any medical basis for such a recommendation to not go? If there were issues predisposing you to miscarriage, THEN I'd be concerned. My cycles were so wacky I never knew until I was about 6 weeks or so each time.

I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV.

What I find really annoying is that people don't even know you and want to give out unsolicited advice. People think you are public property when you are pregnant.Complete strangers will say, "are you sure you should be doing that?" So, just be prepared for that. The best defense is a good offense: educate yourself and your partner about the physiology of pregnancy, and find a md/ob/midwife that supports your philosophy as much as possible, and tell the rest of them to go to hell.**

Congrats, by the way!!!

formica

**everyone else is ranting this week, just joining in.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Well, I don't know you- I'm a complete stranger who would like to give some unsolicited advice because when you're pregnant, you're public property, you know. Oh, also, I'm not a medical expert in any way, shape or form, nor can I speak from personal experience.

I say, ride like there's TWO people pedaling :p

**CONGRATULATIONS!!** :D :) :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!

Ok at the risk of bringing up an uncomfortable subject let me just add something.

I say go for the ride. Its estimated that 30% of all pregnancies spontaneously terminate in the very early months just because of genetic mistakes and riding a bike is not going to change that. You can lie in bed for months and lose it, or ride like a maniac and lose it. The bike riding is not going to change the course of the pregnancy barring a humongoid crash. A pox to those who tell you not to ride! I would stay off those teeter totters and big drops though, missy.

edit: this is for early, first trimester stuff. If you OB diagnoses a condition that might preclude riding, or if you start spotting, then hold off until furthur advised.

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Impy said:
CONGRATULATIONS!

Ok at the risk of bringing up an uncomfortable subject let me just add something.

I say go for the ride. Its estimated that 30% of all pregnancies spontaneously terminate in the very early months just because of genetic mistakes and riding a bike is not going to change that. You can lie in bed for months and lose it, or ride like a maniac and lose it. The bike riding is not going to change the course of the pregnancy barring a humongoid crash. A pox to those who tell you not to ride! I would stay off those teeter totters and big drops though, missy.
thanks Impy. You know, I was thinking the same thing (about the whole, if it's going to happen it's going to happen thing). It's good to hear from somebody that knows what their talking about though.

Guess I didn't make Coe either ;)

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
public property

formica said:
What I find really annoying is that people don't even know you and want to give out unsolicited advice. People think you are public property when you are pregnant.Complete strangers will say, "are you sure you should be doing that?" So, just be prepared for that. .
No kidding. When my sister was pregnant, she really missed the taste of beer. Once at a party, she had a non alchoholic beer, and somebody started lecturing her. "Don't you realize that there could be a miniscule trace of alchohol in that!"

Then again, if I saw a pregnant woman smoking, I'd probably pass judgment
:p

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
pfunk said:
So i've read a few threads here about riding while pregnant, but it's more personal for me now, as I just found out I'm about 3&1/2 weeks pregnant :)

I was planning to still do some riding, non technical taking it easy. Was planning a ride with my sister in-law and husband tomorrow. She told a friend (who's had 3 kids) and then called me back and said they didn't think I should ride until I'm past 12 weeks. Now my husband's worried.

thanks,
pfunk
One of my wife's doctors who specializes in difficult pregnancies said exercise, fitness and the epidural are among g-d's greatest gifts to women and babies. My wife rode with common sense up until giving birth with one pregnancy, and until the physics of twins made it a no way the next time. My wife stopped the single track challenges about the time she stated to show, but kept riding moderate trails and on pavement. Our advice is temper all of your expectations until you there is child in your arms.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
bitflogger said:
One of my wife's doctors who specializes in difficult pregnancies said exercise, fitness and the epidural are among g-d's greatest gifts to women and babies. My wife rode with common sense up until giving birth with one pregnancy, and until the physics of twins made it a no way the next time. My wife stopped the single track challenges about the time she stated to show, but kept riding moderate trails and on pavement. Our advice is temper all of your expectations until you there is child in your arms.

Good luck and all the best.
Right on.

The spin instructor at my gym is like 7 months preggers. She's awesome.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
pfunk said:
No kidding. When my sister was pregnant, she really missed the taste of beer. Once at a party, she had a non alchoholic beer, and somebody started lecturing her. "Don't you realize that there could be a miniscule trace of alchohol in that!"

Then again, if I saw a pregnant woman smoking, I'd probably pass judgment
:p
LOL. when I was pregnant with #1, there was a city bike path behind the house. I knew they had sprayed and mowed back there, but I decided to go for a walk anyway. We ran into some acqaintances with some other people, and this lady I didn't know starts telling me that they've sprayed down there. " Yes, I know." She puts her hand on my body and tries to get me going OFF the bike path, saying " you really shouldn't be down here". wtf? Who put her in charge? I got in her face and told her in no uncertain terms that I was an intelligent person capable of making my OWN decisions and I didn't need her to tell me what to do..." My kids turned out ok, btw,

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
cool

pfunk said:

thanks,
pfunk
congrats..

·
here today
5,926 Posts
Impy said:
CONGRATULATIONS!

edit: this is for early, first trimester stuff. If you OB diagnoses a condition that might preclude riding, or if you start spotting, then hold off until furthur advised.
Impy has it down pat, talk to your OB & ignore most all other advice.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
First of all, congratulations!

Second, listen to your body. Mine told me when to stop before the doc did. You don't need to be "superwoman" but you need to keep your sanity and health.

Thirdly, listen to you OBGYN, as long as they don't have archaic practices, they will be a great help to you as far as fitness goes.

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
A riser bar & tall stem are your friends, per NuMexDonna's experience. Add some height to your cockpit so you can still breathe as you begin to get bigger. That baby is gonna be taking up room where your diaphragm would normally be able to expand, and riding in a more upright posture will help. Good luck,
- Joe

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Congratulations!!

Good luck and I hope you have an easy, joyful pregnancy.
I believe people think you suddenly turn into a fragile flower then. I haven't even gone off the pill yet and people are trying to make sure I am not going to ride. As long as the body and doctor give a thumbs I hope you have fun. I imagine some of the same people who think ladies shouldn't be playing in the mud and getting scratched / bruised up do have dizzy spells when you tell them you will be riding pregnant :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.