Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope to go up there this week.....see that different trails open on different days.....but are they bidirectional, or do you ride them CW or CCW to gain max effect ? Any help appreciated before I delve back into Parham's book Tom

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
litespeedchick said:
I always ride left and right loops counter clockwise.

I ride Thompson CCW as well. Mouse needs to be Clockwise to maximize the fun. I swear that loop seems like you climb just a little bit and then descend forever. I love Mouse.
Ditto on the directions above. Definitely go when Left and Right are open (Sun and Mon) and be sure to go out on the optional trail to get to the overlook. Mouse/Thompson are okay too if you have time (Fri and Sat). I'm not sure on the schedule for the middle of the week. Tsali can be busy so try to go on a weekday for MUCH less traffic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
*smack*

p0Ke'[email protected] said:
Hope to go up there this week.....see that different trails open on different days.....but are they bidirectional, or do you ride them CW or CCW to gain max effect ? Any help appreciated before I delve back into Parham's book Tom
There's a "Suggested Direction of Travel", but it's not really a rule. Some of the trails are
very narrow and very fast with very short sightlines, and there are a lot of folks who like
to ride backwards - so be careful. A couple of guys got jacked up pretty bad out there
a couple weekends ago in a head-on on Mouse Branch.

No big deal - but I try to stay hyperalert when I ride there because of stuff like that.

ZB

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
If you decide to "go against the grain".....

so to speak, then be aware of the narrow trails when riding out around the lake. I met a "lady" coming towards me on mouse, she was riding "against the grain" & when we passed our h-bars clipped each other. She was on the outside & all I saw for a sec. or 2 was lake about 15-20ft down. They had drained the lake down to clean it up, every 5yrs or so I think. Scared the crap out of me & her. I hollared "you awight?", she hollared "yep, you awight?", I hollared "yep". Never saw her after that. Scary. Keep your head up, no matter which way you ride.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
In this pic: Thompson is far left, Mouse is the next in. Looks pretty simple, but either one can wear out a newbie or be a great whoop-de-doo. So, I agree - watch out for the folks riding backasswards.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/mtnbike/tsali3d.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts