Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all cross streams, swamps, rivers, ocean edge/beach, bayous....creeks...you get the idea...post up your pics of crossings.......Ride On!

Here's one from today to start.....we had 65 degrees.....back to shorts and not worrying too much about getting wet!

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ok here are a few

and then this is my favorite!

My Son and I rode through the Tunnel that the Charles River uses to go under I-495 , it is about 250 yards long and DARK. the first 100 yards it is is only about 3 -6 inches deep, and just before you get out it dips to almost 18 inches deep.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The general plan is to ride as absolutely fast as possible into the water, so that you don't need to pedal through it. It's too easy to lose balance and traction.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,567 Posts
Excellent!

Couple pics of my ankle-biters at Brown County State Park last April. First one shows my son in his "no photos" stage. Last one shows my daughter caught by surprise--she came around a corner and didn't expect a stream. She had told me before she'd walk across any streams but she cruised that one like a pro. Good times!

I'd have to say BCSP is the best place I've ever ridden for stream crossings. There are a ton of them and the streambeds are made of these flat rocks that are technical (but do-able). The water smells clean too!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Riding through shallow creeks and puddles is fine and fun (if you're not already freezing) but I almost always avoid anything that submerges my BB or hubs in water. That chit is too expensive to treat it like that.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,164 Posts
These pix are so old I had to scan them in (for something else). It's actually 2 ways to cross a stream.
1 if by air.
2 if by sea.

In the top pic, I am going 100mph.

Bike had Shimano cup-n-cone hubs and bottom bracket. You just gotta clean and re-grease more often when you do chit like that.

-F

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
As much as I might like to ride thru water I don't think my BB and hubs like it much. I do have a bike with a Alfine Hub and cheap square taper BB that I do not think twice about going thru water with.

Dean
That's the second post about not wanting to get your bike wet.

I wouldn't want to own a bike that I was afraid to get wet. I understand the difference between riding through a puddle and submerging the bike. Every once in a while I like to submerge the bike.

BikeClub02132g.JPG

1 - 20 of 33 Posts