Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in my attempt to take a "short cut" through the soccer fields at a local park on my way home last week, I did myself NO favor. The soccer field grass was not high, it just sort of swallowed up my tires. It was HARDER than EVER to muscle through that stuff toward the end of my ride.

This made me realize that riding through grass, although it does not teach you any handling skills for dirt, definitely gives your legs a significant workout. Just thought I'd toss this idea out there. I now do laps around the perimeter of the neighborhood school yard when I want to just get on the bike and can't go far.

Good stuff! Makes riding the dirt feel like riding on asphalt.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
indeed

If I could, I certainly would!

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. Last night I ran four miles, with 1lb ankle weights on each leg and 2.5lb wrist weights on each arm. One of those HURT SO GOOD type feelings.

I may have to try riding with the weights on someday.

·
2,548 Posts
I'd advise caution when riding through grass........ I once hit a 2 ft deep hole riding 15 mph through grass (grass had grown up inside the hole and was "cut" to the same level as the surroundings, making it look like flat ground).....needless to say, I did the Superman launch and ended up cracking a couple of ribs (only hurt when I laughed...or breathed ;) ). Approach long grass with caution, especially if you've never ridden that spot befor !!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no kidding

There are some "sunken" hazards at the local school yard. As I circle the perimeter I've noted just about everything and pick the lines with caution.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fuelish said:
I'd advise caution when riding through grass........ I once hit a 2 ft deep hole riding 15 mph through grass (grass had grown up inside the hole and was "cut" to the same level as the surroundings, making it look like flat ground).....needless to say, I did the Superman launch and ended up cracking a couple of ribs (only hurt when I laughed...or breathed ;) ). Approach long grass with caution, especially if you've never ridden that spot befor !!!
^^ this man speaks the truth :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
racing in the grass

Not to be too much of a dork, but from racing extensively on grass cyclocross and mountain bike courses I've learned that the key to grass is using a tire with a rounded knob like the Maxxis Larsen Mimo. You can hear the squared knobs tearing at the grass and slowing you down, which may be fine for training but obviously not for racing. If you do train in the grass I'd be very cautious about grass getting wound into the cassette and derailleur pulleys. I've wrecked rear derailleurs when the grass wraps so tightly around the pulleys that they stop spinning and the cage gets pulled into the cassette and wrecking the chain and some cassette teeth in the process.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probably wasn't very clear when I said THICK grass. I didn't mean tall grass, I simply meant grass that you sink into maybe 2-3 inches, if that.

It's funny, even riding around the local school, there are sections where the grass is easy to ride through, there are other sections where it feels like it's HOLDING your bike and screaming, "GET OFF ME YOU FOOL."

This is what the grass felt like accross the soccer fields - tough stuff for sure. Not anywhere near tall enough to get caught in anything though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Either way short and thick or tall just dont do it is dumb. If it is a soccer field you make a big track across their field. If it is tall you get ticks and half to rip them out later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.