Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bueno!
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this bike for less than 18 hours and have been on two long rides. All I have to say is this thing blows me away! It climbs great, descends like a dream and takes corners like a hot knife through butter. I can't wait to go ride it again!

·
Made in China
378 Posts
Nice build!!!! Congrats on the new bike. :band:

Only thing I don't like in the picture is the weirwolf tire.....at least they don't work for me for where I normally ride(socal). On the hard pack stuff the side knobes tend to fold and wash out when cornering for me. But I'm 210 plus gear, they are quite good in sandy and very soft condition I think they are designed with soft turf in mind.

If I had more room(I have 2 bikes plus the wife's bike) I'd buy that bike in a heart beat(assuming wife's approval).:skep:

·
Registered
695 Posts
duke777 said:
Nice build!!!! Congrats on the new bike. :band:

Only thing I don't like in the picture is the weirwolf tire.....at least they don't work for me for where I normally ride(socal). On the hard pack stuff the side knobes tend to fold and wash out when cornering for me. But I'm 210 plus gear, they are quite good in sandy and very soft condition I think they are designed with soft turf in mind.

If I had more room(I have 2 bikes plus the wife's bike) I'd buy that bike in a heart beat(assuming wife's approval).:skep:
Funny, I have the exact opposite oppinion of the Weirwolf's. I run the UST 2.1 as a front only and have been incredibly impressed by the thing. I've run a ton of tires up front (Blue Groove, High Roller, Micheline XCL, Hutch Spider, Nevegal, and more) and have yet to find another one that has the Weirwolf's combination of great rolling resistance, grip and corner ability. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
:thumbsup:

·
Bueno!
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the weirwolf tires as well. They corner great and the tread design is great for all riding conditions. I now have a weirwolf 2.5 in the front. Rolls over anything. :)

·
Made in China
378 Posts
LOL...yeah tires and saddles they are very personal. Infact I don't like my WTB saddle either, kills me on the long rides. But 90% people I talk to loves them, I'm just weird! :D

·
Bueno!
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had the WTB Rocket V Ti saddle for 4 years! Anyhoo Chumba + WTB = Goodness. I'm coming home from the bar and all I gotsta say is BUENO CHUMBA!!!!

·
Bueno!
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my scale it weighs 30.5 lbs. That's pretty good considering the DT Swiss 340- EX 5.1D wheels and Weirwolf tires.:D

·
Mtbr Founder
34,982 Posts
Here's a couple of pics. It's 31.21 with this beefy build.

It's like two bikes in one. A climbing bike with the front shock at 120mm, raised saddle and DHX Air with Propedal cranked on. And it's a confidence-inspiring downhiller with the shock at 140, dropped saddle and less pro-pedal.

francois

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
34,982 Posts
carnetorta said:
nice looking bike francois...when's the ride report coming?
It'll take a couple of weeks. I rode it for a couple hours today though and it's very confidence inspiring. I did some jumps and log drops for the first time in a while thanks to the bike. It's plush and it's stable. I'm going to get one of those gravity dropper seatposts for it since this bike really seems like two bikes in one... uphill and downhill.

francois

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Nice build on the xcl. If money was not an issue I would have a xcl to compliment my Evo. I am beginning to think that the xcl might more suitable for me than my Evo. It seems strong enough to handle a lot of punishment, but would be a better climbing bike than the Evo.

Is the rear tire clearance similar to the Evo? A coil shock would be a good option for the xcl as well.

·
Older than I feel
1,848 Posts
Cool score Francois! Where did you get yours? I might have to grab one next year.

·
Bueno!
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've made an upgrade to a Manitou 4 Way Air, I have to say it's performing quite nice! I've ridden the XCL a lot now and it's definitely exceeding my expectations. This is a perfect bike for riding in CO or anywhere there's a lot of ups and downs.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
bbc said:
I've made an upgrade to a Manitou 4 Way Air, I have to say it's performing quite nice! I've ridden the XCL a lot now and it's definitely exceeding my expectations. This is a perfect bike for riding in CO or anywhere there's a lot of ups and downs.

vn all around...looks like a killer frame...

looks as if you can take the linkage, flip it 180degrees and fit a bigger shock on there for more travel.....posslible?

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
misctwo said:
looks as if you can take the linkage, flip it 180degrees and fit a bigger shock on there for more travel.....posslible?
I'm thinking the rear wheel would rub the seat tube at full travel. I think some of the prototypes had that issue but I believe this has since been fixed by the ever responsive and fast Chumba team.

bbc said:
I've made an upgrade to a Manitou 4 Way Air, I have to say it's performing quite nice!
bbc - I'm not familiar with the Manitou line. Why is the 4 Way and upgrade from the DHX Air?

·
Bueno!
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe it's not an "upgrade" in certain people's opinion. It's easier to set up than th Fox and the SPV works extremely well. I like it because It doesn't have so many adjustments and plus it feels a lot more plush. I'm a big fan of the Talas fork though. It's a great balance.:D

·
person
684 Posts
Awsome bikes all, only thing i'd change is the single bolt seatpost, i've had many broken bolts on those darned things

1 - 20 of 22 Posts