Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to get out on Sunday for a very nice ride. Luckily, the area, Lion Gulch, is only about 20 minutes away. It's steep and tough going up the gulch, but the area at the top is great. It's called Homestead Meadows. The remains of 7 original homesteads still stand. I love this area. There's great riding, great history, and the scenery is pretty fantastic, too.

Attachments

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I've hiked that trail, and it's tough going up! I couldn't believe it was open to bikes.

As I understand it, there is access in from Estes Park as well. Have you ridden it from that direction? I wondered how that might be - I think it's Pierson Park?

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chad1433 said:
I've hiked that trail, and it's tough going up! I couldn't believe it was open to bikes.

As I understand it, there is access in from Estes Park as well. Have you ridden it from that direction? I wondered how that might be - I think it's Pierson Park?
It's even tougher after the recent rains. There's parts that I barely recognized. I definitely had to walk up more sections that I did even a month ago.

Anyway, it is accessible via Pierson Park out of Estes. I wouldn't recommend doing it without at least taking a look at a map first. From 119, Pierson Park Rd, you can hit trail 1000, Pierson Park trail. That will dump you into the back section of Homestead Meadows. Just follow the signs from there and you're back to Lion Gulch. It's a fun way to do it to hit the PP trail, but it's a significant amount of extra driving time. I prefer to climb the gulch.

One of the things that mtncrawler asked was if it's accessible via Hall Ranch. If you are on foot, the answer is yes. You'd have to connect thru Button Rock Reservoir and currently, no bikes or horses are allowed. On the new BOA website, www.boa-mtb.org, in the advocacy section, it's one of the things they are lobbying for. If Button Rock Res ever opens for multi use, you could ride from Lyons to Estes on 50% singletrack 50% jeep road but all on dirt. I have a dream...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now THAT would be awesome! Where do I go to sign a petition?!?!? That really is pretty country back there and being able to ride that length on dirt would be great. Lot's of climbing and miles!

I'll have to check out that site..
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.