Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding the Difference

Ok… I'm sold on the value of IBEX and the bikes are certainly fine looking (or any other bike company you choose to insert). However, It often appears that people make their decision to buy for monetary reasons and this is an acceptable reason for sure (I like saving money) but not necessarily the reason for purchasing a bike.

So for the sake of this discussion, let's set aside money for a moment and talk "riding the difference". As one reads he will notice several comments from those that ride Ibex, Specialized, and others MTB on how they climb like Billy Goats. Some others would say the Brain Technology Specialized boast is one of a kind and cannot be matched. Yet other riders boast on the Maestro system and how it provides the best traction bar none.

Now to continue eliminating buyer hindrances lets remove the drive train argument because for the most part they are identical to varied degrees. Following the drive train lets next purge the suspension debate and any other apple to apple item we all know each bike posses.

What are we left with really?
Frame, Wheel Set, Tires, Geometry and Design

Frame …weight
Wheel set … lightest and balance
Tires…grip
Geometry and Design…why we pay the big bucks

Now let's have the conversation…Why should I ride an IBEX bike…Why does it climb like a billy goat? Those of you that have taken the time to ride different bikes, what was it that you found exceptional about these bikes. This is not meant to be a debate rather a rider looking to purchase the best bike I can get my hands on regardless of money.

Is IBEX that bike…in your opinion!

Again feel free to replace the IBEX with whatever...

·
less is more
823 Posts
The Difference is in Your Head

If you like Ibex bikes get one. The frames are similar in this range as are components. Go with what you love. Your choice is made by subtle preferences & speak to your individual taste. Get the Ibex. You have done the research & know what you want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ride the Difference

Here lies the problem...I have done research (one might say to much)...my question is intended to gather information about why people like their bikes...What is unique about why you like your bike. It's true that much is in your head, but it is equally true that one bike might not climb very well. Soooo... why is the bike a good choice....surely with all the bikers out there someone can respond with some usable opinions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish it was that easy

Hard to get an idea about bikes you cannot take a ride on. Like IBEX , KINLEY, Verses, etc.

There is also a big difference from riding on the parking lot and climbing the stair-case at Walnut Creek.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The way I see it, components are components. Wheels are wheels, tires are tires. In the same model line, frames are frames.

However, it's extremely likely that two people riding the same bike (lets say stumpjumpers) may come have completely different opinions about the bike, likes, dislikes, etc. I understand the position you're in, because finding the best bike for your money is the obvious goal, however, what I like isn't necessarily what you like, or what anyone else in this thread likes. It sounds like you've done your homework (at least you're saying you have), so pick a few bikes that are appealing to you, and go test ride them. Many bike shops rent higher end bikes, so try to find one in your area, rent the bikes you'd like to ride and take them for a ride on your favorite trail. That's the only way you're going to find the perfect bike for you.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Rev. Michael McCaskill said:
Here lies the problem...I have done research (one might say to much)...my question is intended to gather information about why people like their bikes...What is unique about why you like your bike. It's true that much is in your head, but it is equally true that one bike might not climb very well. Soooo... why is the bike a good choice....surely with all the bikers out there someone can respond with some usable opinions.
Sometimes you just have to take the shot. You like Ibex, if you buy something else you will end up having second thoughts....

Are you really just intrested in climbing? or descending? overall? My perfect bike might be completely different than yours, or John's, or Maria's, or the next rider down the trail.

A bike is not just the frame, also. The bike performance will also depend on fork, wheels, tires, stem/handlebar size, bla bla bla.

I can say that I love my Titus Moto Lite, and it's a great all-arounder. But sometimes it just depends on what you really want.

Somewhere I read that we make our decisions emotionally, and then spend hours trying to justify rationaly our decisions. And it seems you already have reached your decision, you're just trying to justify it 'rationaly'.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I agree.

Until you know what you are looking for, it is going to be tough to decide.

Personally, I am sure that there is quite a bit of a difference between what IBEX is doing (frame/materials/designs) and the upper end companies are doing, simply due to the RandD side of things. ($ available to tinker with.)

IBEX does have Fantastic deals across the board, though.

I can not support the idea of test riding bikes at a store that you have no intention of buying from, however.

Figure out what travel amount is right for you. You have done some research, so hopefully you have an idea as to the TT length you are looking for.

That being said, I ride an XL Gemini with a Lefty, set up as a Clyde worthy trail bike, and I love it! It is perfect for me (6'4" and 230 lb.) but others will go WTF?!?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.